trivial question about the step kit

/ trivial question about the step kit #21  
Had to wait on warmer drier weather. This is a picture of the left side looking up where the mounting plate will go:

0319201555-01.jpg

Bolted the step to the mount and clamped in place as low as it would go to check fit:

0319201615-01.jpg

Decided to use some self-threading bolts that I had:

0319201632-01.jpg

Drilled two holes at the top next to their holes, so they wouldn't be too high and 4 holes at the bottom of the mount where most of the force from my weight will be pushing out against the bolt heads:

0319201717-00 c and r.jpg

Clamped the step and mount in place, drilled 6 pilot holes and bolted it tight:

P3240175.JPG
P3240177.JPG

The top two bolts were harder to get in. The pilot holes felt like they went through thicker metal.

Found out why when I opened the door. The two top holes that I drilled are too high and went through more metal:

P3240192.JPG
P3240194.JPG

P3240183.JPG
P3240180.JPG

Looked at the directions and see that by putting it where the step is lowest, the mounting plate is upside down.

Right way, the top holes are lower and my way, the top holes are higher:

P3240185.JPG
P3240191.JPG

The step is halfway up to the floorboard. Makes it much easier for this old man to get in and out :thumbsup: :D.

Last edited:
   / trivial question about the step kit #22  
Just my cheap side showing up but $230 seems steep for a bracket and a step. think I might build my own.

/ trivial question about the step kit #23  
Looked at the directions and see that by putting it where the step is lowest, the mounting plate is upside down.

Right way, the top holes are lower and my way, the top holes are higher:

View attachment 647134 View attachment 647135

The step is halfway up to the floorboard. Makes it much easier for this old man to get in and out :thumbsup: :D.

So, is the correct (per instructions) way to mount it is the bracket on the left? The one that the Bobcat decal is upside down?

/ trivial question about the step kit #24  
Correct:
toolcat step kit c600.jpg

But since I didn't want to use the clip-nuts (#2 above), I didn't read the directions again before I started.

I had read them before I ordered the kits.

The holes where the step bolts to the mount (#6 above) are offset lower when the plate is upside down, that is what I looked at.

/ trivial question about the step kit #25  
Sometimes when we think too much it gets us in trouble.....been there, done that.:drink:

/ trivial question about the step kit #26  
Just my cheap side showing up but $230 seems steep for a bracket and a step. think I might build my own.
Start building! I used the Toolcat this morning and to me the step is worth it. So much easier to get in. Getting out it sticks out far enough to put your heel on it.

Still have the passenger side step to put on when I get a round tuit :D.

/ trivial question about the step kit #27  
I found that if I just order the step (7135577) and bracket (7135578), not the kit, I was able to get the price per step down under $194. Since I typically try to use stainless steel hardware for mounting stuff like this I don't need or want the kit hardware.

/ trivial question about the step kit #28  
Thanks for the tip, too bad I didn't think of doing that.

The 1/4 inch diameter self threading screws are working great, holding the bracket on tight :thumbsup::

Self Threading.jpg

/ trivial question about the step kit #29  
Well I got a round tuit and got the step installed on the passenger side.

Scraped the mounting area clean and drilled 4, 1/4" holes in the mounting plate next to the big holes:

P4290038.JPG
P4290037.JPG

Bolted the step to the mounting plate the right way this time and clamped in place:

P4290043.JPG
P4290042.JPG

Drilled 4 holes for the short self-threading 1/4 inch bolts and bolted it in place:

P4290047.JPG
P4290050.JPG

Now I can get in so much easier when my wife is driving :D.

/ trivial question about the step kit #30  
Just an update to say I really like the steps. So much easier for this 80 year old man to get in and out.

Coming out forward you can put your heel on the step, or come out backwards with your toe on the step.

P7240001.JPG