Trip permit, or not?

/ Trip permit, or not? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
I gave up my apportioned tags 2 years ago as the documentation expectations were ridiculous for me. I dont travel out of state too much anymore and quite honestly, when I do deliver out of state, cops dont seem to care about farmers delivering hay.
Anyway, I have to travel from PA to NC. I will be traveling through MD, VA and into NC. The purpose of the trip is sort of a gray area IMO. I am going to NC empty to pick up a new trailer. On the return trip the trailer will be unloaded- NO cargo. Theres no profit in the trip. Although I guess one could reason it is tied to my companys profit system or some other mumbo jumbo legal nonsense.
The trip permit costs are pretty ridiculous.

I have heard an amazing range of cops wont care to youll be frog marched to jail regarding this trip.

Thoughts?

/ Trip permit, or not? #2  
I gave up my apportioned tags 2 years ago as the documentation expectations were ridiculous for me. I dont travel out of state too much anymore and quite honestly, when I do deliver out of state, cops dont seem to care about farmers delivering hay.
Anyway, I have to travel from PA to NC. I will be traveling through MD, VA and into NC. The purpose of the trip is sort of a gray area IMO. I am going to NC empty to pick up a new trailer. The trailer will be unloaded- NO cargo. Theres no profit in the trip.
The trip permit costs are pretty ridiculous.

I have heard an amazing range of cops wont care to youll be frog marched to jail regarding this trip.

Thoughts?

I say .....don't worry about it.
Enjoy the ride, and your new Kaufman trailer!

/ Trip permit, or not? #3  
Assuming you have a bill of sale from the dealer and a temp tag on the trailer, you shouldn't be hassled. You are taking delivery of a new piece of equipment and hauling it home in a not-for-hire, not-paid, non-commercial manner.

Your eventual use of that trailer should be irrelevant.

/ Trip permit, or not? #4  
My friend came down to Lexington and picked up his new Kaufman with no fuss or bother. 81 to 77, probably the same route you are taking.

/ Trip permit, or not? #5  
How much are trip permits in PA?
The VA trip permit is $5 as long as you have insurance, if you don't you have to pay the uninsured motorist fee which is about $42 in addition to the $5 fee.

/ Trip permit, or not?
How much are trip permits in PA?
The VA trip permit is $5 as long as you have insurance, if you don't you have to pay the uninsured motorist fee which is about $42 in addition to the $5 fee.

That’s interesting. I was told it would be in excess of $100 per state.....

Had another guy tell me to put tape over my DOT number?

/ Trip permit, or not? #7  
Here's the VA trip permit info, I know your in PA so its irrelevant but interesting the differences. It says to contact any states your traveling through outside of VA.
I don't know why a state would make it difficult to get a trip permit.

As long as you're not loaded I think you'll be OK with bringing it back with just a bill of sale. Although I agree that covering your DOT numbers would be a good idea since you're not operating in a commercial manor.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

/ Trip permit, or not?
Looks like anything over 26,000 has to have permits, so Im screwed

/ Trip permit, or not? #9  
Know a car dealer you can borrow a truck/tag from? May be different in other states - but from my understanding, a dealer tag gets around lots of regulations. My friend keeps a dealer license for that alone.

/ Trip permit, or not? #10  
Have you already purchased the trailer? If so you should be able to get the info and they'll send you the title or other info needed to register it. That way you can just take your tags with you and be done with it.