Travel trailer buying advice???

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
My girlfriend wants to buy a travel trailer for us to use with our two kids and two dogs. She started out looking at used and from there it turned into checking out new and we ended up spending 3 hours today going through around 30-40 travel trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes. The motor homes are nice but not really what were looking for at this time. They have advantages but are more money then we want to spend. The 5th wheels are great but most of them we saw today are set up for retirement couples which we are not yet. The ones we fell in love with and the kids as well are the travel trailers with the kids room on the back and the outdoor kitchen.

These are set up with a master bedroom on the front and the kids bedroom on the back. The kids room can sleep 3-4 without any issue and are set up nice. There is a door that leads directly into the bathroom from the outside as well which was a nice feature. These units are 32' campers so there is plenty of room for everyone and a couple friends as well.

So we have looked at plenty of units and have narrowed things down to two but I'm not sure if I am overlooking anything. I'm not use to buying or even looking over campers and I want to hear if there is anything we should take notice of. Good points or bad points to pay attention to. Any thoughts or advice you guys want or can offer would be great before we spend $25-$30k on one of these things and find out we didn't get what we really should have.

I do like the travel trailer because it allows me full use of the truck bed still and when unhooked I have my truck for a daily driver if needed. I would be pulling it with my 2006 F-250 diesel and these two units are under 8k so weight isn't an issue. Will need to get sway bars though.

/ Travel trailer buying advice???
   / Travel trailer buying advice??? #3  
If you want to save $ might consider buying from this outfit : Bullet Travel Trailers, Keystone Bullet, Bullet RVs | RV Wholesale Superstore Yes you would have to take a ride to pick up.

At least compare prices , look at other units online ,etc. Heartland makes good stuff for the buck IMO.
I'am CW member cause I find their "store stuff" priced rite and they obviously have lots of RV needed items.
However I find their RV lot trailers ,etc way overpriced at least in SW/FL. Where your at make sure unit is "winterized".

Boone

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #5  

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 219
   / Travel trailer buying advice??? #6  
Robert, Starcraft is made by Jayco. Jayco bought them a few years back. We have a 2009 Jayco 32BHDS. Very similar to the layout you are looking at. We've been real happy with it. A couple of minor issues during the first year, but one trip back to the dealer and all was well. Everything still works as it should and still looks great to boot. We've got the power awning and stuff. Wish we would've gotten the bike rack on the back. It weighs 7984 as shipped from the factory and we pull it with our '99 Silverado 1500. One thing to consider, with Starcraft there is only a 1 year warranty. On the Jayco line they offer a 2 year warranty. One thing to be aware of, some of the online wholesalers can be tough getting warranty service.

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #7  
Have done a lot of towing with a '95 Jayco Eagle 30' FK and a 2005 Sunnybrook 26'...get an aluminum framed model for both ease of maintenance and lighter weight, what with gas at $4 a gallon don't buy any thing bigger than you need. It's currently a buyers market for used RV's, I purchased my Sunnybrook 4 years old for half what it cost new. Let the first owner pay the depreciation hit and not you. Had a 34' Airstream MH with a toad but I actually preferred the trailer/truck combo for what it gave me vs the expense. Make sure what you want has ample storage, and ample fresh/grey water capacity. The big plus for a truck/trailer combo is that you can use the truck for transportation 24/7/365. Slideouts are nice, but they add a lot of weight and complexity. Anything you buy is going to be a tradeoff, so take your time and shop carefully. Good luck !!!

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #8  
From someone who has never owned one, consider this...
I used to tow my in-laws a lot. They went from a 23 to a 31 footer, and my 1/2 ton p/u was rated to haul one just a little heavier, so it shouldn't have had a problem. Pulling, stopping, no problem, but I did have problems controlling it and did not like the way it towed. Thought it might have been the rear bedroom with a queen size bed with all that storage UNDER IT. Never did get the wife to pack the trailer where it handled good, compared to the fifth wheel trailer they traded it in for. I only towed the fifth wheel once, about 2K miles total, but loved hauling it. Then they traded again for a motor home and that was the end of pulling a camper.
Consider a fifth wheel for the handling characteristics.
David from jax

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #9  
I like the way my 5th wheel tows. But, I do give up bed space with the hitch. Done trips from 10 miles to almost 5000 miles. Definitely like the 5th wheel when on the road.

Make sure to consider WD hitch as part of getting a bumper pull.

/ Travel trailer buying advice???
I like the way my 5th wheel tows. But, I do give up bed space with the hitch. Done trips from 10 miles to almost 5000 miles. Definitely like the 5th wheel when on the road.

Make sure to consider WD hitch as part of getting a bumper pull.

I would love to get the Hensley hitch but unless I find a used unit I'm not sure I can justify the price. They look great but I feel their overpriced. So I'm looking at other options like the blue ox and am researching my options.