Trailer tires again

/ Trailer tires again #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
THere hasn't been a trailer tire thread in at least a couple weeks so I thought I would throw one in. I need new tires on my 2 horse trailer. I am looking at 205/75R15 load range D tires. The choices in town seem to be Duraturn, Sutong Super Cargo, Power King Trailer King II and Towmax STR II, Goodyear Endurance ST. Any consensus which ones may be better than the others?

/ Trailer tires again #2  
Which one is better is kindah subjective.
I installed GY Endurance on the TT 2 weeks ago and they towed fine.
Would also recommend load range E for the additional safety factor margin.
Two horses and trailer weigh about what 4k? Just guessing but the added layer of ply and side walls will help if your area is rough pasture with lots of tire hazards.
The other Tire is Carlyle tires.
Happy towing!

/ Trailer tires again #3  
I replaced tires on my travel trailer last fall. Got a good deal on Transmaster 225/75R15's. I bought 5 (4 plus spare) and also bumped up from D to E rated. Probably made in china but have about 500 miles on them without problem.

/ Trailer tires again #4  
I purchased 4 (10 ply e-rated) MS8008 Maxxis trailer tires about 2 years ago.Good tire IMHO..

Last edited:
   / Trailer tires again #5  
I believe the Goodyears are made in the USA. They are the only trailer tires that I've found that were not made in china.

/ Trailer tires again #6  
I did a bunch of research and came up with the Power King Towmax STR's, I have had them on 2 trailers for a couple of years so far. I was able to upgrade to higher ply tires as well so thats a big plus. I ordered them online and had them shipped in from Discount Tire Direct, good prices and I have a local indipendent shop that installs them cheap. The guys on the rv boards seemed to like them a lot and you know they are some fussy SOB's. :laughing:

/ Trailer tires again #8  
Trailer tires are rated based on 65 mph - unless they have a specific speed rating molded on the side of the tire. I recommend only the higher speed ratings - they seem to last longer and are more trouble free for me.

/ Trailer tires again #9  
I have Gladiator tires on 2 of my trailers, very pleased with them, yes they are Chinese but seem very well built and affordable. I have overloaded the ones on my dump trailer by accident(and by a lot) and haven't had a problem.

Bought mine from a seller on Ebay, I highly recommend at least taking a look at them.

/ Trailer tires again #10  
Goodyear have a bad rep in the RV comunity from what i remember.

I have two power king tires on a double jetski trailer that are 4 months old. They are way over rated for the load/trailer. One alreaty has a bubble and i got a refund on that tire alreaty.

I generaly go for the black and round type tires. I havnt had a blow out on the road. I do check my tire pressure every trip and if im loosing alot of air i soap the tire and generaly find a screw/nail. Repair it then that becomes a spare.