Trailer questions

/ Trailer questions #11  
I'd surely go for the larger trailer in anticipation of having a larger towing vehicle in the future.

Egon

/ Trailer questions #12  
Derek,

It's a trek, but a guy in Taunton Mass - Welch Trailers 508-828-1612 has some fantastic prices on load trail trailers. The link show's their bob-cat equipment haulers. They are advertising the 18' 12,000 # for $2,300.

I just bought a 7,000 GVW 16' car hauler from them for $1575. Came with brakes on both axles & slip spring suspension, radial tires, & white spoke wheels.

The trailer is decent quality - some of the welds could be a little cleaner. But to step up to a cam-superline or other "premium" trailer, was going to cost 30% more. I definitely saw worse when I was shopping.

I've got the prodigy controller too (thanks to advice here). Only used it once so far, but I can't imagine finding anything else easier to use.

I realize this dealer is far away - but I know you are well equipped to handle any service issues yourself.

Happy hunting.

/ Trailer questions #13  
I called Kaufman Trailers, they are based in North Carolina. For a 20', 12k trailer was 2300.00. He said that he could sell it to me for that but I would have to come pick it up. I think that you should shop around. I have priced that same Kaufman trailer at a dealer for 2595.00. You can do a lot better than that.

/ Trailer questions #14  
"If my truck hitch is only rated for 12K with a weight distribution hitch can I tow this trailer with my truck as long as I know I'm not going over the 12K rating? Most of my trucking will be under 20 miles, very local. ALso I will be getting a new(er) 1 to 2 ton dump truck in the next few years. That dump truck will do most of the hauling then."

Some people would not think twice about hanging a 10 to 12K trailer on their 3/4 ton with just a plain ball mount. Many get away with it and many others break things or they loose control.

With a weight dist. hitch and running local you should be fine at low speeds, but keep in mind the load your putting on your rear axel and tires if you really put over 10K on your trailer. Do the new 3/4 HD trucks come with the class 5.... over 10K hitches?

Then there is always the great gooseneck trailers and a hide away hitch if you really want a nice running rig without the reciever hitch weight distribution hardware hassel.

/ Trailer questions
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do the new 3/4 HD trucks come with the class 5.... over 10K hitches?
)</font>

The tag on the hitch says 12K with distribution hitch.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Then there is always the great gooseneck trailers and a hide away hitch if you really want a nice running rig without the reciever hitch weight distribution hardware hassel. )</font>

I would love to have a gooseneck. But I'm getting a new(er) dump truck in the next couple of years. I really don't want to bother with switching trailer in a few years again. I also can't afford to have 2 trailers either.

/ Trailer questions
Any thoughts on what make of wieght distribution hitch to go with?

I'm going with the Prodigy controler.

The PJ trailer that I'm interested in came in on Friday afternoon. It will be assembled for me to look at next week.

Thanks for all the help!

/ Trailer questions #17  
<font color="blueclass=small">( what make of wieght distribution hitch )</font>

This Eaz-Lift was my personal favorite, although I've also had a Reese and was happy with it, too. Of course there are several other brands and I really think it's kind of like which brand of tractor or pickup is best. The best one is the one you like best; they all work quite well.

I'm assuming that you and/or your dealer know that while the lift bars (or spring bars) look about the same, there are different ones for different trailer tongue weights as listed in that link.

/ Trailer questions #18  
I have Dodge 3/4 ton w/ HO Cummins and 6 spd tranny. It's a short bed quad cab. I bought a Bri-mar 18 ft 12,000GVW trailer. Changed the factory hitch from a 500 lb tongue weight over to a 1000 lb tongue weight, not counting any distribution figures which are considerably higher. I pull a Mahindra 4110, FEL, Bradco 511 hoe w/aux pto pump and tank plus a 24 and 12 inch buckets. Machine and buckets are 6000# at least.. Have a prodigy controller. Haven't had any problems or issues to date.

/ Trailer questions #19  
For indepth hitch talk you may find an RV forum of benefit.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm

The above is the best RV based site I know of, use the magnifine glass on the top right and you'll find more hitch info then you'll ever want. Or post your situation in the towing section and some one will relate their experiances and recommendations. Those bars will make your towing much more comfortable when your tongue weight is over 12% the weight of the trailer.

/ Trailer questions
Thanks for all the help!

I ended up getting the P.J. trailer 14k 20' for $3200. It was around $1k cheaper than anything else around my area. Also it was in stock, the others I would have to wait 6 weeks. P.J. trailer is well built, nice and strong. The "finish" is not so good. Paint job has a few runs in it, the wiring for the lights is not the way I would have done it, mounting for license plate is not straight. Just little stuff. The Drawtite weight distribution hitch works really well. Took me a while to get it all lined up so everything sits nice level. Did have to modify the cams that mount on the trailer tounge. There was a brace right where they needed to be mounted so I had to cut the ears off the cams and drill some mounting holes. The Prodigy works like silk! That is one heak of a controler. I really like the voltage display and the boost feature.

Thanks again!

I'll post some pictures of the truck, trailer, tractor soon.