You might get some ideas from this one: Skid Steer Dual Hitch Receiver | Eterra
eterra-skid-steer-dual-hitch-receiver.jpg

I have one:
PA080010.JPG

Saved this picture from Daniel Mfg. but have not needed to make the boom yet:
danielmfg.jpg

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #12  
is your 3pt often covered by backhoe?
or is this case where you need more lift height than 3pt does?
I built it for very precise backing of a couple of trailers and for setting implements into my little shop.
It has a standard garage door and the cab will not allow me to back in with anything.
This way it's easier to back in a trailer that has 2" clearance on each side or to squeeze a 9 ft blade thru an 8 ft door.
I have also used it with a blade or york rake to reach in under low limbs and such.

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #13  
Ok, with 48" forks I can see the desire to shrink it down a bit, and if you have trailers with tongue weights that you're not comfortable having on the end of the forks.. yeah those are heavy. Back to your original plan.

I don't have much to add to the actual 'receiver' part of the equation, it should be a fairly simple build. I think building the 'boom' you mentioned is probably where you want to put more brainpower to make sure you never have a failure. I think a boom that engages two 2" receivers on on top of each other (probably 8"+ apart?) should be strong enough for most things. Do you already have a piece from something else you could use to make this thing, or will the boom be made from scratch? Engine hoists and truck bed cranes, game lifts etc usually have multiple length settings with clear markings for weight capacity at each setting and are pretty easy to figure out the dimensions of what they're made out of to give you an idea of what's necessary to hit 'retail ready' levels of safety margin. :ROFLMAO:

One thing you might want to do first is figure out how long you want it to be, and then figure out what your loader's lift capacity is at that distance, so that you can build the thing sufficiently strong without OVER building it for the strength you'll actually have at that distance. I would guess at the end of 5 or 6 feet from the pins you'd have no more than 1000lbs and maybe less. If that's the case you might even consider leaving the boom idea off the hitch piece and.. sorry if im gonna sound like a broken record now, but.. put it on your forks in the form of fork extensions. You have 4ft forks which means you could easily get 6ft extensions and put a crossbar bolted between the extensions with your sling/schackle/hooks on that. If you unbolted the crossbar you'd also have fork extensions..

• Good Post
Reactions: TWD
   / Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted
is your 3pt often covered by backhoe?
or is this case where you need more lift height than 3pt does?
Correct. Backhoe... and I use it a lot, so much that I've never removed it since I've owned it, and I can't convince myself to get a 3pt chipper knowing I'll need the backhoe at that same time while doing tree work :/

Ok, with 48" forks I can see the desire to shrink it down a bit, and if you have trailers with tongue weights that you're not comfortable having on the end of the forks.. yeah those are heavy. Back to your original plan.

I don't have much to add to the actual 'receiver' part of the equation, it should be a fairly simple build. I think building the 'boom' you mentioned is probably where you want to put more brainpower to make sure you never have a failure. I think a boom that engages two 2" receivers on on top of each other (probably 8"+ apart?) should be strong enough for most things. Do you already have a piece from something else you could use to make this thing, or will the boom be made from scratch? Engine hoists and truck bed cranes, game lifts etc usually have multiple length settings with clear markings for weight capacity at each setting and are pretty easy to figure out the dimensions of what they're made out of to give you an idea of what's necessary to hit 'retail ready' levels of safety margin. :ROFLMAO:

One thing you might want to do first is figure out how long you want it to be, and then figure out what your loader's lift capacity is at that distance, so that you can build the thing sufficiently strong without OVER building it for the strength you'll actually have at that distance. I would guess at the end of 5 or 6 feet from the pins you'd have no more than 1000lbs and maybe less. If that's the case you might even consider leaving the boom idea off the hitch piece and.. sorry if im gonna sound like a broken record now, but.. put it on your forks in the form of fork extensions. You have 4ft forks which means you could easily get 6ft extensions and put a crossbar bolted between the extensions with your sling/schackle/hooks on that. If you unbolted the crossbar you'd also have fork extensions..
Scratch, and overkill and this will likely be a small 'boom' for the receiver(s), and I'll build another in the future on a dedicated quick attach plate... I'm thinking for 5-8' to move stuff <1000lbs that I need more reach... like getting a pig out of fenced in area w\out having to remove hog panels :D What I'd REALLY like to find is a small hydraulic winch to utilize for lifting things up too... that's something I'll have to keep an eye out for, not wanting to spend much for a nice to have :D :D

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #15  
Correct. Backhoe... and I use it a lot, so much that I've never removed it since I've owned it, and I can't convince myself to get a 3pt chipper knowing I'll need the backhoe at that same time while doing tree work :/
then I, keep in mind this is just a guess, would use a plate type mount as others have mentioned. lot of good ideas in that manner mentioned.
fork/bolt on stuff just plain stress your bucket.
plate style would prob protect you more.
keep in mind I am talking out of my butt here, not had to deal with this scenario myself. just an opinion.

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #16  

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.45.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.45.38 PM.png
    383.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.46.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.46.05 PM.png
    397.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
   / Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #17  

Scratch, and overkill and this will likely be a small 'boom' for the receiver(s), and I'll build another in the future on a dedicated quick attach plate... I'm thinking for 5-8' to move stuff <1000lbs that I need more reach... like getting a pig out of fenced in area w\out having to remove hog panels :D What I'd REALLY like to find is a small hydraulic winch to utilize for lifting things up too... that's something I'll have to keep an eye out for, not wanting to spend much for a nice to have :D :D
I added a receiver to an old New Holland skid steer forks mount
I left the rear vertical tubing and have ideas for a single easy mount log grapple and or a pole lift -maybe,
works for moving trailers so far also put a hole in the 3rd (spare) fork for moving/lifting things
Also mounted my 12k HF winch on a receiver insert but have not tried it on this fork mount yet
also planning a fifth wheel trailer hitch lift for this

Attachments

• 100_8331 (2).JPG
    100_8331 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 257

Attachments

• pallet forks 9.jpg
    pallet forks 9.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 244

Last edited:
   / Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #18  
Well as for a winch, I have one of the $59 Harbor Freight ATV winches I have used for a bunch of stuff. It's not that strong single line but i run it double line with a small pulley and it will do whatever i've asked it to. I have not pulled a full size vehicle out of a mud hole or anything but I've pulled all kinds of vehicles up trailer ramps and have never had one roll backward on me. One nice thing is it already includes a wireless remote which is good if you don't want to add your own. I suspect it can lift 1000 lbs straight up pretty easily with doubled line and hold it there. Of course I said something like this somewhere else and got a lecture about a winch vs a hoist, holding brake blah blah. Attempt at your own risk.

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #19  
I have store bought rack for pallet forks and it also has built in receiver for mounting a hitch but I’ve never installed any type of hitch because it’s very obvious to me that it would be very difficult to use by myself because of the very limited visibility for hooking up to any kind of trailer.
But I also don’t have a rear mount backhoe so it’s usually very easy to hookup most things at the rear of my tractor.

Last edited: