Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using?

/ Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I recently purchased a new Dump trailer and realize the ease at which it could vanish.

There is an 8-9yo thread, but I wanted to find what people are using now.

What are you using as a lock to keep it from rolling off?

I purchased a 'Blaylock' thinking it would be pretty good, but when I received it, I'm thinking I could knock this off a gooseneck hitch with a sledge. ( I haven't tried it obviously, but it began me thinking.)

At this point, the Ganderlock looks promising, but this requires removal of the connection from the trailer. Which is easier than purchasing a new trailer, now doubt. The Blaylock can be defeated by removing and reinstalling a new gooseneck connector. As can any such lock. The locks over the bolts to prevent this might work, but I have no information. I've thought of just tack welding the connector, since it is only used on one truck and is set. I've seen people use those 'uncuttable' Stanley lock chains and a high end padlock.

But... What are you using in this day and age?

Also, my trailer doesn't have the typical junction box, that I see in PJ trailers. (I have a Load Trail) so the hidden GPS tracker wouldn't work, although I find it intriguing.

IMG_4180.JPG

/ Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using? #2  
I insured my trailer.

/ Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using? #3  
My barn!

/ Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using? #6  
I have similar wheels to you. I ran a chain through the holes of both wheels on one side and put a lock on it. I also have a very low dollar lock on the hitch.

/ Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using? #7  
   / Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using? #8  
Around here, I have seen a lot of people using wheel boots (like what parking enforcement uses to "boot your car")
Just make sure it covers the lug nuts or someone can take the wheel off (especially for a tandem axle trailer)

/ Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using? #9  
No matter which lock you use, it can be quickly defeated with something like a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel. But a lock is a deterrent for the unprepared, impulsive thief.

/ Trailer hitch locks... what are you currently using? #10  
You ALWAYS keep your trailer in your barn?

100% of the time. In 22 years I've owned a home not a single vehicle or trailer has sat out overnight.