Tractor Winch Weight

/ Tractor Winch Weight #11  
Does more cable mean smaller diameter cable? I've never needed that much cable, and to me it's a disadvantage unless you "absolutely" need it.

More cable means more chances of snagging on the drum, and more chances of a rat's nest. Also, more cable will most likely reduce the pulling power when you don't need all that cable out, which will easily be MOST of the time.

I have 165' on my winch and maybe 2 or 3 times over all the years I've owned it, that I had it all out. A few days ago, I deliberately let more line out, just to get this bad boy started moving easier,

Resized-20240212-160055-S.jpg

It takes a decent amount of tractor and traction to pull/skid out logs like this,

Resized-20240212-161049-S.jpg

SR

Last edited:
   / Tractor Winch Weight #12  
Rob, What is that? White oak? That is my best guess from here...

/ Tractor Winch Weight #13  
Rob, What is that? White oak? That is my best guess from here...
Yeaa, the two biggest trees were a white oak and a red oak, the one above had 117 rings on the stump.

I pulled out a BUNCH of firewood too,

Resized-20240212-151736-S.jpg

SR

/ Tractor Winch Weight #14  
Appreciate the input, I emailed kubota about a front end loader increasing the capacity but haven’t heard back. I would hope that an 8k winch would be more than capable to pull out a 3,800lb log but I’ll definitely ask!

It depends on the terrain. Not only uphlll vs downhill but how even it is. When the butt digs in to a rise the resistance goes up.

Anyone familiar with the clutches? Looks like the Krpan and Fransgard have a better clutch than the Igland.

I've had the clutch on my Uniforest 30m squealing because the log's stuck. (It helps to have a spotter for logs that are out of sight but sometimes I'm working alone). I let off as soon as I notice but that's not immediate. So far I can't tell that it's been affected. I think its a pretty big clutch for the torque it transmits.

A self releasing snatch block is really useful. I found this one works well and was the best price I could find (but that was a few years ago and things might have changed):

You can find youtube videos of the snatch blocks in action. I rig this one so its upside down which I think makes tripping the release easier.

I use cargo sling straps to hold it instead of chains, which will damage the tree. The straps can also if it rotates around the tree so plan out the forces in your head and set if in the right place. I got slings with reinforced loops which are too stiff and want to slip off the point on the block if there's not enough tension on them. I need to weld an extension on.

There's a thread or two on here where guys with a lot more experience than me discussed this. I learned a lot from it. It's worth searching for if you haven't found it already.