Tractor Tie Downs

/ Tractor Tie Downs #11  
A member posted here years ago about how his front straps snapped and his tractor shifted backwards on the trailer while going down the highway, resulting in a pretty wild ride as he described it. Fortunately he was able to control it and later determined that while his trailer was rated for the load it had flexed on a bump, causing the strap failure.
My father used to use 4 of those el cheapo come alongs, one on each corner of the tractor. While the cable was probably rugged enough I've had the housings on those fold up too many times to trust them.

/ Tractor Tie Downs #12  
Also agree with 4 attachment points. For me its faster and easier. Also not have to worry about one chain or strap failing and then having NOTHING on one end.

/ Tractor Tie Downs #13  
   / Tractor Tie Downs #14  
As earlier mentioned, strips of fire hose slopped over straps is a great 'strap saving' idea.
My straps each wear two 12 inch lengths of fire hose that I position over any contact points, even strapping down a bundle of wood is hard on straps and sharp metal even worst.

/ Tractor Tie Downs #15  
My new Kubota was delivered on a "slide down bed" car hauler type truck. It was secured with five chains - 3/8" size and fold over chain tighteners. One chain on each wheel and one chain across the FEL/bucket.

As they say - - SIZE does make a difference.

/ Tractor Tie Downs #16  
As far as NY goes with DOT inspections, equipment OVER 10,000 pounds need 4 tie downs, 2 in front, 2 in back, proper load rating. Under 10,000 pounds 1 in front, 1 in back, proper load rating, chain or strap, and yes binders have load ratings, if we do not see load ratings on chain or binders, we just give it the least amount in the book, grade 30, straps are rated too, if no marking, it痴 1,000 pounds per inch width of strap.

I see a LOT of big tractors, 100 HP and up, come up I 87 into Canada, they usually use a chain and binder, but when they get to the equipment side, will change over to proper rated strap to wrap around front end or something, as to not scratch the new machines.

ALL attachments have to be properly secured also, unless they hydraulically lock, like a backhoe that locks in the up position.

/ Tractor Tie Downs #17  
Heavy duty ratchet straps - the type with chain and grab hook ends. That way I don't have to worry about them being cut by a sharp edge, and yet I have that little bit of stretch that keep the straps tight once they are cinched down.

/ Tractor Tie Downs
As far as NY goes with DOT inspections, equipment OVER 10,000 pounds need 4 tie downs, 2 in front, 2 in back, proper load rating. Under 10,000 pounds 1 in front, 1 in back, proper load rating, chain or strap, and yes binders have load ratings, if we do not see load ratings on chain or binders, we just give it the least amount in the book, grade 30, straps are rated too, if no marking, itç—´ 1,000 pounds per inch width of strap.

Thanks Jcoon. I assume you are a LE or DOT officer. That's great info from a guy enforcing the policies on the road. It helps my decision to stay with tagged straps. Gonna go with a fourth at the back, both hooked to the clevis in the drawbar. That will give better lateral stability and the second strap for redundancy. I fall under 10K rule, but rather be safe than sorry.

/ Tractor Tie Downs #19  
Thanks Jcoon. I assume you are a LE or DOT officer. That's great info from a guy enforcing the policies on the road. It helps my decision to stay with tagged straps. Gonna go with a fourth at the back, both hooked to the clevis in the drawbar. That will give better lateral stability and the second strap for redundancy. I fall under 10K rule, but rather be safe than sorry.

I am a Commercial vehicle inspector with NYSDOT, you are welcome.

/ Tractor Tie Downs #20  
I like the straps with chains and grab hooks, not those stupid clips. I can see not using straps on larger equipment, but for smaller stuff, they give some stretch and keep the load more secure. Straps unfortunately always seem to get frayed and then are garbage.

Curious. Does DOT ever consider what the chains/straps are actually attached to and the integrity of that tie down?