BryceSteiner

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK25 T25
Got up this morning and it was -6 with a windchill of -35F

Can your tractor start this cold?

Posted this today!

/ Tractor starting at -6? #2  
Yeah, we pronounce that as "spring" or "fall" up here.

Lol.

Tractor starts at -45F (that's no made up "wind chill", but real ambient temp).

When winter comes on full speed, and it's -40F outside with a 30-40 mph wind, we just call that "Tuesday".

/ Tractor starting at -6? #4  
I could have told you it would start before you went out in -6 to try. It has a Yanmar engine. It would have started with a lot of other engines too though.

My tractor won't be starting today because I'm not leaving my house except to tend to the chickens.

/ Tractor starting at -6? #5  
We havnt got below 6*f here but my 22yr old ford tc40 started up fine. That's not with the windchill, in a open shed and no type of heat.

/ Tractor starting at -6? #6  
My Tractor is SOoooo lucky. It might have to run at 100ºF but its never very cold ;)
Good Luck to you guys in that frigid weather.

/ Tractor starting at -6? #7  
People in cold climates know they need the right fuel, oil, battery, and maintenance to ensure starting when frigid. People that don't prepare may have frostbit fingers etc from working on the equipment during those temperatures.

/ Tractor starting at -6? #8  
My Tractor is SOoooo lucky. It might have to run at 100ºF but its never very cold ;)
Good Luck to you guys in that frigid weather.
I hear you scootr,

But just for fun, I also have to operate at 100+F in the summer while I'm mowing. Just to mix things up a bit.

In both extremes, I'm happy to have a cab with heat and AC.

/ Tractor starting at -6? #9  
Yes - the Kubota M6040 fired right up at -24F. After a moment of reconsideration - I decided it was too darn cold for me. Went back in the house - cup of hot coffee - delayed the project until a warmer day.

/ Tractor starting at -6? #10  
Guys. Please remember that windchill temperatures never have a single thing to do with your machines.
WC only effects living things like your fingers and face.

As a side note I would let my machine idle for sometime warming up the oils. My oil analysis red flagged the idling with fuel detection in the engine oil. These newer diesels don’t care for idling at all. I know wait a minute or two then start out easy before running it harder.