tractor rookie

/ tractor rookie #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Greetings everyone,

checking in from BC Canada.

small acreage with dog(s), cat, heritage chickens / free range chickens, and a whole lot of honeybees. Hobby Farming is in the works. I have a John Deere 160 lawn tractor (with recently confirmed Kawasaki engine) as a ride on mower/ move supplies etc, an Arctic Cat 400 utility quad with assessories / snowblade etc, and a pickup - so the basics are covered. For years now I have considered buying a compact tractor in the 20 - 25 HP range. I don't need anything bigger, and the property does not suit a large tractor anyway. Moving dirt, plowing, fencing. levelling the yard etc is the idea.
I need a compact tractor, 4 wheel drive, PTO, loader, hydro-static, diesel (preferred), with open access entry platform. Options for post hole attachment, mower deck, backhoe would all be nice. Expect to buy used, but might consider new.

the question becomes ... Kabota, John Deere, New Holland / Boomer, Massey, etc. ??? This is where they all seem to become comparable with features, options, prices, and special deals / buyer incentives, interest rates. What to do, what to do ??? :confused2::confused:

Opinions and suggestions are requested so that I can narrow down the search. Thanks for a great forum.

/ tractor rookie #2  
Welcome to TBN!!

Sounds like you need what is referred to as a subCUT (subcompact).
As far as brand...try the closest dealer first and work out from there.
As far as used...depends on how much you want to spend. Nothing wrong with buying used. I'm on my third used Deere...just traded up because I wanted more power. The trade-ins were fine tractors, bt I needed a bit more.

/ tractor rookie #4  
Welcome, Scaredychicken! You came to the right place.
Roy pretty much said what I was thinking - find a dealer who's nearby and who you feel comfortable dealing with.
Get on some tractors and see how they feel. Sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't feel right in the saddle.
Good luck,
-Jim

/ tractor rookie #6  
Welcome to TractorByNet, a SCUT or small CUT should do you. Look for some threads by bp fick as he did a good comparison between the Kubota SCUT and CUT with the biggest difference in the ground clearance. JOHNTHOMAS has owned/owns SCUT as well as CUT, so he is a good resource as are many others including Roy and others who have offered advice.

I am more familiar with Kubota, but would not hesitate to buy something else and have owned/own other brands.

/ tractor rookie #7  
Welcome to TBN from Tennessee.

/ tractor rookie #8  
Welcome aboard TBN.

Chad

/ tractor rookie
thanks for the warm welcome, and for all the information, suggestions. gives me a lot to work with.

/ tractor rookie
forgot to put the 3 point hitch on the wish list.

thinking Kubota B7510 or similar size Kubota, JD, Massey, New Holland ... dealers in the area here, the more I study, the more I know, the more I know, the bigger the wish list is ... 22 hp min - 30 hp max is most likely. thanks for all the info, the reviews are particularly helpful