Tractor not starting

/ Tractor not starting
Easiest way to do this pull the front gear case cover off and make sure all your tick marks on the gears are aligned. If you didn't go to deep into the engine then the camshaft gear should be synced correctly with the crankshaft unless it jumped gear. Here's a pic of typical alignment. If you had to remove the pump gear & idler gear and re-installed without proper syncing to the pump it will never start because likely your injection is way off in relation to your compression.

View attachment 774458
All I have done is align the marks on the pump and remove it to be rebuilt. the shaft stayed in place and have not touched anything else. I should be ok ?

/ Tractor not starting #22  
All I have done is align the marks on the pump and remove it to be rebuilt. the shaft stayed in place and have not touched anything else. I should be ok.
You should be Ok but you have too make sure you get #1 cylinder at TDC. Is should have a mark on the gear. Once you get the engine set at #1 TDC you can go and time your fuel pump. You can also remove #1 injector and stick a piece of wire and when timing marks match the notches on the main pulley with wire indicating moving out of cylinder. Maybe someone can add what rockers are "rocking" when 1 is at TDC but I am not certain with a 3 cylinder engine.

I attached a link that gives a better description.

Last edited:
   / Tractor not starting
You should be Ok but you have too make sure you get #1 cylinder at TDC. Is should have a mark on the gear. Once you get the engine set at #1 TDC you can go and time your fuel pump. You can also remove #1 injector and stick a piece of wire and when timing marks match the notches on the main pulley with wire indicating moving out of cylinder. Maybe someone can add what rockers are "rocking" when 1 is at TDC but I am not certain with a 3 cylinder engine.

I attached a link that gives a better description.

Thank you for your reply. The link is for a 706 with a Bosch pump. My tractor has a G188D motor with a Roosamaster pump. My plan was to do the wire trick to verify #1 and TDC

/ Tractor not starting #24  
Thank you for your reply. The link is for a 706 with a Bosch pump. My tractor has a G188D motor with a Roosamaster pump. My plan was to do the wire trick to verify #1 and TDC
No problem. Best of luck. All these pumps and these drive gears to them usually have inspection plates to set timing. Also keep in mind a lot of times these gears and pumps will have multiple markings on them due engine model, size or engine rotation. Just make sure using the right marks. A tech manual or getting specific settings for you engine model will be a huge plus to get a specific deg. setting for advance. Sometimes its written somewhere on the engine.

/ Tractor not starting #25  
If u lined up the marks in the window when you took it off and u lined them up putting it back on, in theory u should be timed.. UNLESS u had a relative rebuild it who doesn’t do this for a living..
U see, it’s possible to put the part w the line on it 180* out of time..!!
Therefore, simply lining up the lines will make it 180* out of time..
So unless u KNOW FOR A FACT that the pump was rebuilt correctly AND the pump was put on correctly
(dot to dot) your pissin in the wind..
Btw.. have u unhooked the return line on top of the pump and removed the connector, so your looking at a hole in the aluminum top cover, and tried to start it.??
Try it..

/ Tractor not starting
If u lined up the marks in the window when you took it off and u lined them up putting it back on, in theory u should be timed.. UNLESS u had a relative rebuild it who doesn’t do this for a living..
U see, it’s possible to put the part w the line on it 180* out of time..!!
Therefore, simply lining up the lines will make it 180* out of time..
So unless u KNOW FOR A FACT that the pump was rebuilt correctly AND the pump was put on correctly
(dot to dot) your pissin in the wind..
Btw.. have u unhooked the return line on top of the pump and removed the connector, so your looking at a hole in the aluminum top cover, and tried to start it.??
Try it..
I get you, my relative does do this for a living and has for his whole career so I believe he did his part right.
On the other hand I don't mechanic for a living and I'm thinking that might be the problem,Haha. I did unhook the return line as described, ( a hack my relative advised) and unfortunately no difference. I'm going to get everything lined up again and remove the pump to double check the dot to dot, hoping I muffed it when installing and it's 180* out and my problem will be solved. Wish me luck, appreciate all the help I've gotten on this forum and will be sure to post my results.

/ Tractor not starting
Ok, kool.. thanks for the update..
Finally!!! got it started, followed eveyones suggestions and lined up all marks , made sure dots lined up, got it all lined up at 8degrees BFTD and bled injectors and she started and is running!!! Thanks to all!!!

/ Tractor not starting #29  
Finally!!! got it started, followed eveyones suggestions and lined up all marks , made sure dots lined up, got it all lined up at 8degrees BFTD and bled injectors and she started and is running!!! Thanks to all!!!
Thanks for posting the update. Glad to hear we were able to offer some assistance in getting you up and running again.

/ Tractor not starting #30  
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

The post we were all waiting and hoping to see posted.