Tractor Sizing Tractor for small hobby farm

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #31  
Also putting up hay is according to the hay's schedule, not your schedule. I knew working M-F 8-5 would not work for me. I contracted it out. Problem is getting someone to do small acreage.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #34  
i have no information so my opinion is void. i do not want to come off as dissing their situation so i will just say,
Good luck to them
There is nothing wrong with maintaining your AG exemption by having a favorable deal with a trustworthy lessee who will take good care of the place and produce ag products until you are ready and in position to do so yourself.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #35  
One catch for you; when it comes to sizing implements to cover your wheel tracks make sure you measure the tractor with the tires you intend to buy. My Kioti ck2610 shows less than 55” wide in the specs but with R14 tires, it’s just shy of 63” wide.

I bought mine last month and paid $36k with tax (6%) assembly, loader, backhoe, and canopy so $29k seems high to me but prices are local. The equivalent L2501 was over $40k.
That’s awful that a L2501 is over $40K. I paid $38,700 for my MX6000 hst in December 2021.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #36  
Also putting up hay is according to the hay's schedule, not your schedule. I knew working M-F 8-5 would not work for me. I contracted it out. Problem is getting someone to do small acreage.
I've had several people in 30 acre and under asking if I did hay. They have small farms, need hay and say they can't get anyone to do it around here. A lot of the old guys are out of it and it's getting harder to find people to do it.

I considered looking into it. I've never done hay other than helping neighbors put it up in the barn.

Last edited:
   / Tractor for small hobby farm #37  
There is nothing wrong with maintaining your AG exemption by having a favorable deal with a trustworthy lessee who will take good care of the place and produce ag products until you are ready and in position to do so yourself.
you are correct as i stated my opinion on this issue is void because i do not know anything about this case, i just noted that a 90 10 split is unusual in my experience.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #38  
Do what you want but as of today Feb 1st 23 Kubota and Kioti are offering tractors at unbeatable finance rates. Kubota is doing utility tractors at 0% for 60 and I just watched a video on the Kioti CK2610 I believe and their financing is 0% also and also cash back options are great. Up to you, Just remember you cannot go wrong with a little bigger tractor. but you can get too small and be unhappy. I KNow if I were in the market right now with the size property you have, I would most likely break a Kioti dealers hand on the CK2610 closing the deal!!! The price and the offers they stated in the video I watched were almost amazing for todays economy and the size machine you are getting with the features standard.. Good Luck!

also the Video i saw was on Youtube at Larry Stovestand equipment. I am no affiliation but just wanted to let you know so you could watch the video on the CK2610

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #39  
Do what you want but as of today Feb 1st 23 Kubota and Kioti are offering tractors at unbeatable finance rates. Kubota is doing utility tractors at 0% for 60 and I just watched a video on the Kioti CK2610 I believe and their financing is 0% also and also cash back options are great. Up to you, Just remember you cannot go wrong with a little bigger tractor. but you can get too small and be unhappy. I KNow if I were in the market right now with the size property you have, I would most likely break a Kioti dealers hand on the CK2610 closing the deal!!! The price and the offers they stated in the video I watched were almost amazing for todays economy and the size machine you are getting with the features standard.. Good Luck!

also the Video i saw was on Youtube at Larry Stovestand equipment. I am no affiliation but just wanted to let you know so you could watch the video on the CK2610
I saw that video as well. Nice machines. I like that size tractor. I have the equivalent Mahindra to the CK2610 and it's actually amazing what you can get done with this size tractor. I have used much bigger machines but I'm quite happy with what I have.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #40  
It can’t be said too often or too loudly: get more tractor than you think you need today because you’re going to discover something tomorrow that you’ll want to do. You don’t need 100 horsepower, of course….that would be overkill but if you’re choosing between 25 or 30 on one end and 40 to 50 on the other end, go to the high end. You’ll appreciate the weight and power for your FEL work, mowing/hogging and any land work you discover you want to do. I think storage is a minor issue. The biggest tractor you’re looking at is only a little wider and a little longer than the smaller ones you’re considering. You are not talking about needing twice the space for one as opposed to the other.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.