Tractor decision

/ Tractor decision #151  
I agree with earlier comment that about 1 hp per acre is a good size. Get the cab, you won’t regret it, the added weight is beneficial. Get cast wheels or wheel weights, in addition to fluid in the tires. Extra weight provides much needed stability on slopes. If you have any trees, get the grapple. These are recommendations based on my experience on 22 years of owning 70 acres of grassy and wooded hills in the mountains of western NC. I’m also retired. I have a set of pallet forks that I rarely use, although I have a grapple and hay spears.
Best of luck

No one makes a 2 horsepower tractor, and what good would it be anyhow? 😆

Last edited:
   / Tractor decision #152  
Every property owner has different needs and every size tractor is beneficial in different ways. I have a John Deere 5075E cab tractor for big projects, a open station Deere 3320 CUT for smaller projects, and garden tractors and zero turns for mowing different terrain that I deal with. Every machine has its place and purpose.

/ Tractor decision #153  
Every property owner has different needs and every size tractor is beneficial in different ways. I have a John Deere 5075E cab tractor for big projects, a open station Deere 3320 CUT for smaller projects, and garden tractors and zero turns for mowing different terrain that I deal with. Every machine has its place and purpose.
Some other benefits of multiple machines is that the hours you put on them are spread across them and you have some redundancy.

/ Tractor decision #154  
Forks are more of a necessity for those of us who work with logs or large bulky items like boulders, buckets of course perfect for loose or granular materials.

I love forks, especially with a log grapple mounted up top. A lifesaver at work.

View attachment 845694

If you have both, your tractor becomes a force to be reckoned with!
pretty much have forks attached most of the time, so easy to wrap a synthetic sling round a tyne for lifting as well.

/ Tractor decision #155  
I move a lot of trees around (fallen trees and cut trees for firewood) and I used to use the forks extensively. It also helps to move certain pieces of equipment around (implements or when I had to move my lathe) However, now I have the 4-in-1 bucket and that was a game changer for chores. I can grab logs like a grapple, move and sift dirt, plow snow, grade like a BB, move dirt like a dozer and not have to change anything. I even took out another lot of chain-link fencing just by grabbing it from the top and pulling it out. Last year I flattened and graded a new garden for the mrs with just the bucket

I'm a big cheerleader now for the 4 in 1 bucket. You can have that one item and do a lot of work.

Although tbh having a big bucket has taken some of the fun out of plowing because I get it done fast and in the cab with the heat on 🤣

/ Tractor decision #156  
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I have 50 acres, 15 pasture, 35 wooded. We are starting construction on a new home, 1400 foot driveway. Right now I am focused on LS
MT347 cab hydro with bucket, plow, box blade, brush hog. Am I on the right track? Up until now I have only had garden tractors. Thnx, Barry
I have a purchased new, LS M2-25s open station with loader and in the last 2 years of ownership had zero problems and I really like the engineering, component selection, and creature comforts it possesses.

I also have a 65 HP Branson with cab and loader that I bought new in 2007 and haven't had any problems to speak of over the years. Between those extremes I have 4 45-50 hp older model tractors that are open station with no loader; 3 are Fords and one Case-IH.

If you are doing things out in the weather...moving snow or haying, the cab is the way to go. If you are doing anything else the open station is the best choice. If you do a lot of getting on and off with what you are doing, a tractor that supports that process is a necessity and open station is the ticket.

I am convinced that you can't be all things to everything you are planning to do with one machine. What I would suggest is to buy older tractors having the attributes that were akin to what you wanted to do.....buying older you can get more tractors for what you would spend on a new "single function" (more or less) new one.

On dealers, in 45+ years of owning my farm, the only time I went to a dealer was to buy parts that one can easily get online from dealers everywhere today regardless of their location. Unless you aren't mechanically inclined, with zero tools, you don't need to live next door to a dealer!!!!!!!!!!

The LS dealer was 250 miles from me and delivered the new tractor for free and picked up a couple of older tractors I had, that I didn't like, in trade.

/ Tractor decision #157  
LS Tractor parts are made in South Korea. From there, the parts are shipped to the United States and assembled in various warehouses across America.

willy

/ Tractor decision #158  
LS Tractor parts are made in South Korea. From there, the parts are shipped to the United States and assembled in various warehouses across America.

willy

/ Tractor decision #159  
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I have 50 acres, 15 pasture, 35 wooded. We are starting construction on a new home, 1400 foot driveway. Right now I am focused on LS
MT347 cab hydro with bucket, plow, box blade, brush hog. Am I on the right track? Up until now I have only had garden tractors. Thnx, Barry
Choose the closest tractor dealer around you, you will need help from them in future, so their service is more important than tractor itself.