Tractor decision

/ Tractor decision #131  
Not questioning that, but even with just cheap bolt on forks, i use them a lot, moving fence posts, tree debris, other impliments, and Even the odd pallet. Used them a ton to load up old riding mowers, air compressors, sheet metal, ect, to take to scrap yard.

I use them enough, that last week, while on vacation in E Tenn, I switched my Marketplace location (as one does on vacation, to explorer out of state used junk :), and found a set of SS forks for $100; I started trying to figure out if luggage, kids, wife, and forks would fit in truck for the ride?
I use my grapple for all of that and if I have to lift something my bucket with chains works.

/ Tractor decision #132  
In 5 years of tractor ownership I have not had the need for pallet forks either.

Some are going to argue this to death and insist everyone needs pallet forks.

I use my grapple for all of that and if I have to lift something my bucket with chains works.
I have a grapple also and a bolt on hook on my bucket and a chain.

/ Tractor decision #133  
Then for your purposes your shouldn’t buy them. But many of us find them indispensable.
I know most of you will argue this to death and cannot believe everyone doesn’t think pallet forks are the first things the whole world should buy.

/ Tractor decision #134  
I know most of you will argue this to death and cannot believe everyone doesn’t think pallet forks are the first things the whole world should buy.
I sure wish I had a nice set of of pallet forks - the kind that are easy to adjust and have a spill guard built onto the back... problem is I DO have an old pair of the crappy kind that are a wrestling match, but just good enough so I haven't bought some good ones.
I should... I know I should......

/ Tractor decision #135  
I agree with earlier comment that about 1 hp per acre is a good size. Get the cab, you won’t regret it, the added weight is beneficial. Get cast wheels or wheel weights, in addition to fluid in the tires. Extra weight provides much needed stability on slopes. If you have any trees, get the grapple. These are recommendations based on my experience on 22 years of owning 70 acres of grassy and wooded hills in the mountains of western NC. I’m also retired. I have a set of pallet forks that I rarely use, although I have a grapple and hay spears.
Best of luck

/ Tractor decision #136  
I think the bottom line is buying used can be a great deal if you have the cash on hand that you’re willing to spend. Otherwise it’s hard to beat low interest financing. I could have paid cash on my latest tractor purchase, but I was making more with investing that cash than the finance rate.
I think you are on to something. It could be that the mechanical ability of a generation is directly affected by how easy itis to get credit.

My dad always wanted his own home, but couldn't qualify until he retired.
I only had to come up with 20% down...which became a race against inflation that I "won" and was able to finance our land by my mid 50s.
A young friend just bought his house as a sophmore in college ... nothing down.

But the differerence is the generations that couldn't finance easily became very good at reusing and rebuilding.

/ Tractor decision #137  
Buy more tractor than you think you need. You will always want a bigger/better tractor. Check out each dealer's reputation and whether or not they will pick up for service.
Exactly. Im jumping two sizes from what I have now.

/ Tractor decision #138  
Funny.
I have a set of forks and use them a lot to move logs, steel, pallets of crap, etc. When we moved to our new house, the wife palletized everything, and I loaded the pallets into the semi with my tractor. When the new house was done and ready to move into, we brought the semi back, and I unloaded the pallets into the garage, at the front steps and behind the house at the lower level. According to a number of folks here, I shouldn't have them, nor do I need them.

The ground hornet risk and having a cab is real. About five years ago, when ramming around in my woods with the Kubota BX2380 that I had at the time, I ran over a log. I noticed the first wasp when it crawled behind my glasses. By the time it was done, I had been stung 17 times. Luckily, I am not allergic to bee stings but it took a few days to finally feel better. It would have killed my wife. But, again, I don't need a cab, according to some folks here.

/ Tractor decision #139  
I really like pallet forks. They get used as much if not more than my bucket. I do firewood with Ibc totes so ymmv. I find yellow jacket nests when I’m cutting trees. Two summers ago I musta stepped on one and I got popped maybe a dozen times. Few days later a bunch more in a different location…….

/ Tractor decision #140  
I like forks so much I bought a 5k pound forklift. Honestly the most used piece of equipment on the ranch. Just today I worked on the rototiller raised on a pallet to workbench height. Sure is handy.

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3254.JPG
    IMG_3254.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 34