Traction Technique?

/ Traction Technique? #21  
Lol my neighbor put chains on his tractor but didn't tighten them enough and needless to say just a little driving and it took of one of his rear lights :laughing:
Tire chains can cause a lot of damage very quickly if not tightened correctly.

/ Traction Technique? #22  
You have got to be kidding me, grooving tires? CHAINS! is what you need in snow, use your heads. Look when you are on the road, oil trucks, school buses, highway plows all use drop down chains in the North East.
Yes when I first put chains on my Kubota B3030 they smacked the inside fender, bought the spacers which made it more stable and gave me chain clearance. Properly installed chains are the bomb, you have to check for tension and slippage after you run them a bit. Damage on asphalt or concrete driveways, which is just as frozen as the ground? come on. Speak from experience, keep your opinions to the cocktail party.

/ Traction Technique? #23  
You have got to be kidding me, grooving tires? CHAINS! is what you need in snow, use your heads. Look when you are on the road, oil trucks, school buses, highway plows all use drop down chains in the North East.
Yes when I first put chains on my Kubota B3030 they smacked the inside fender, bought the spacers which made it more stable and gave me chain clearance. Properly installed chains are the bomb, you have to check for tension and slippage after you run them a bit. Damage on asphalt or concrete driveways, which is just as frozen as the ground? come on. Speak from experience, keep your opinions to the cocktail party.

Speaking from experience... My chains damaged several driveways and my garage floor. Grooved tires get the job done with no damage. There are times when chains are better and when they are worse compared to grooved tires.

What happened when you grooved your tires? Or were you at a cocktail party when you wrote this ;)

/ Traction Technique? #24  
Snow is a light fluff material. You need speed to maintain your spoils in front of your blade or bucket. This also is very important to maintain momentum for equipment. Its one of first things I was taught when snowplowing and its a common mistake newer operators experience. Gramps used chains on his tractor because he didn't use speed or momentum with snow removal.

/ Traction Technique? #25  
Snow is a light fluff material. You need speed to maintain your spoils in front of your blade or bucket. This also is very important to maintain momentum for equipment. Its one of first things I was taught when snowplowing and its a common mistake newer operators experience. Gramps used chains on his tractor because he didn't use speed or momentum with snow removal.

I would bet Gramps didn't break stuff, cause he was in control. Speed and plowing aren't always the right combination. Once in a while? Sure. Speed with a tractor on snow, especially wet stuff is kinda dangerous.

Just my 2 cents.

/ Traction Technique? #26  

I'd rather hit something under the snow you don't see slow then with speed behind you :confused2:. It can be quit a jolt when you fetch up solid on something , let alone break something.

"Gramps used chains on his tractor because he didn't use speed"
Chains ,Slow and steady Your Gramps is or was a smart man. You don't have to go fast to have momentum , just a good steady speed.

/ Traction Technique? #27  
The last two posts apply to trucks as well. Speed will help throw snow, but catching an edge at speed can be dangerous.

I have a 1 ton dump that caught a catch basin "at speed" years ago, and am still paying for it...

/ Traction Technique? #28  
After using my Kuboata L3240 tractor has much as I have this winter I realize I definitely need chains, once the snow packs down and gets icy the R4s are pretty much useless, not biting into anything, and just spin. I've tried various speeds, but once you lose front wheel steering control you are in trouble :(
I have a good slope to the road and I can make it up the slope without any load on the FEL, but at times coming down the slope with a snow load on the FEL front tires start to lose traction, and my driveway drops off on the sides, and I almost lost the tractor this last storm.

Any recommendations on the type of chains for my size tractor ?

I store my tractor in a barn with a cement floor, will the chains destroy the cement floor ?

BY

/ Traction Technique? #29  
They won't destroy it but will leave marks. You can throw some 1/4" plywood or cardboard down if you care.

/ Traction Technique? #30  
I just ordered some chains...V-Bar Duo-Grip from tirechain.com. Has anyone used these chains before. My concern is they will rip up concrete driveways. Is this a problem and should I be using different chains on concrete or asphalt? Right now my 1/2 mile drive is gravel but I hope to concrete the thing in the next couple of years.