Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430
I purchased the PT 1430 about six months ago. It is incredibly useful and the right size/power for around here, so i.m.h.o. you will not regret it.

The utility grapple and the brush hog are must haves. I've used the grapple to carry stuff around, and also to rip out and move a ton (or two) of brush, scrag, and small branches. Then used the brush hog to "nip" at a pile or two the size of a small car (stop, raise, drop about half the front on the target, start) and turned it into dust like it never existed - it looks like the forest floor afterwards. No burn pile to tend is a good thing.

The brush hog does not have a rear guard section on it, so I never run it while in the air because it will throw debris and rocks backwards at you and your PT. You can stop it, raise it, drop it on your target, start it, and it will "eat stuff for lunch". Awesome. And this way it will tilt forward/back about 30 degrees for a ditch or a bank. It also works great for pasture mowing if you don't care too much about a perfect cut.

Among it's other uses, the 4-in-1 bucket is great for spreading gravel because you can crack it open while moving and drop an even patch.

Then I use the box blade to smooth and maintain the gravel driveway. Don't bother trying to finesse it, just drag it backwards like you don't care and it does a nice job.

The mini hoe is a bit weird because, rather than swing, you need to steer to move it left/right, but it's been OK to create some drainage.

It turns on a dime, has more than enough power for around here, and it reminds me of my little Toyota 4x4 because it wheels great over uneven terrain - I'm thinking about slapping a Toyota emblem on it. :D

Enjoy!
I think I am gonna have fun! Great to hear the specifics of how you use you your PT 1430. Someone else mentioned using the brush hog to tackle the remnants of the forestry mulching I had done. Also, I hadn't considered using the 4 in 1 bucket like that. I bet my first few attempts at opening that bucket on the move, full of gravel, will be quite laughable! Thanks for your post!

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #12  
I think I am gonna have fun! Great to hear the specifics of how you use you your PT 1430. Someone else mentioned using the brush hog to tackle the remnants of the forestry mulching I had done. Also, I hadn't considered using the 4 in 1 bucket like that. I bet my first few attempts at opening that bucket on the move, full of gravel, will be quite laughable! Thanks for your post!
On your gravel driveway, when you have the stones delivered, most drivers can crack the tailgate open to a set position, then start dumping as they drive, spreading it as they go. Some are so good at it, that you have to do very minimal touchups after they leave, except at the places where they start to stop and overlap loads. Quite impressive if you’ve every seen it done.

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #13  
Here’s a really bad quality video of me on my 2001 model year PT425 and the brush hog getting rid of a multi flora rose bush about 18 years ago. Bad video, but you’ll get the idea.

Mower deck out front means you can see what you’re doing and the brush is chopped before you run it over. So you don’t have to strain you neck looking over your shoulders to back up a rear mounted brush cutter like on a conventional tractor. If you look closely, you can see me raise the deck a couple times to get the crisp dry brush to go under the deck. Green branches tend to bend down more easily when run over. The dry stuff wants to crack off when the blades touch it like this bush did.

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #14  
Here’s another of a large honeysuckle bush. I give it the smack down. :)

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #15  
And here’s some one-handed driving while operating the FEL arms to drop some inexpensive logging tongs over some locust that I felled, then drag them out of the woods to the landing.

Another nice thing about the PTs is they can go just as fast forward as they can backwards.

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #16  
Here’s the last one. 8MPH forward and 8MPH backwards. Makes quick work out of driving into the woods in tight spaces and dragging things back out. I have no need for a winch, because I’ve yet to find a place I can’t drive into on our property.

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #17  
The gas portable winch is nice because you can use it for hours and the length of poll is only limited by how long of a rope you buy. Mine is 300' Since it is gas, you can still winch even if your vehicle is dead. I have not used my electric winch since getting the gas one.

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #18  
Yep, that’s true. If your machine is dead, an electric might get you moved a bit before you kill the battery. And no hydraulic winch will work if the machine’s engine is dead.

Think we should tell the OP about the PT tow port, or keep it top secret? :ROFLMAO:

Or the PT Pucker?

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #19  
Thanks for the response. I am definitely not accident prone, never had a stitch or a broken bone in my life. Any accidents would most likely be caused by inexperience, and there is only one way to overcome that. But point taken. I will be safe as milk.

You may not have Stitches or broken bones but you’ll have knots on your head from that PT canopy.