Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300

/ Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #11  
I have the new filter on my 4310 Hydro from the factory located just behind the seat and I had this problem. Found a piece of the sintered bronze filter(must have changed from screen to this) in the three pt hitch valve keeping the rockshaft from working on a very cold day. Thick cold oil being forced through a restrictive filter. The reason for the failure is the filter can be put in backwards. One way of installation the oil flow has an effective 1/4" circular filter surface (high pressure on small square inches leads to blow outs) --the other way you have an approximate square inch of filter surface. Mine was put in backwards when they disassembled this line to install some of my optional hydraulics and backhoe braces. I fished out the broken out piece of sintered bronze from the valve and installed a new filter correctly and no further problems. I suppose it could be assembled backwards at the factory too---poor design as there should be different sizes of fittings on each side to make it idiot proof!!!!

Last edited:
   / Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #12  
First and foremost, thank you all for this thread. I bought a used 4300 and had a full service done and the dealership wanted to argue that it couldn't be a filter. I was able to give them the part number because of this thread and I have a scheduled pick up, but it's 150.00 trip charge each way.

I do not have access to a manual. I got the seat and seat assembly out to look for the in line filter and I'm not seeing it anywhere. Anyone able to help point out where I need to be looking? I climbed under and looked by the fender and saw nothing. I looked all around the lever and don't see anything. I feel like this should just jump out at me as being very obvious and able to see. What am I missing?

/ Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #13  
Welcome to TBN
Post pics of the area under the seat with the seat assembly out. Maybe then we can point out the filter.. either the problem one or if it has had the updated one added.

Don't understand why you would have an argument with the dealer?? What was your problem that they said "couldn't be the filter" ?

/ Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #14  
Seat1.jpg
Seat1.jpg
seat2.jpg
seat3.jpg

/ Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #15  
Thank you for responding. I have uploaded from 3 angles.

/ Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #16  
Welcome to TBN
Post pics of the area under the seat with the seat assembly out. Maybe then we can point out the filter.. either the problem one or if it has had the updated one added.

Don't understand why you would have an argument with the dealer?? What was your problem that they said "couldn't be the filter" ?

"Argue" wasn't the appropriate word. I'm frustrated with them because I paid the additional tune up fee to go over the PTO and 3 point hitch and make sure they were good to go. They had the tractor for a month before returning it. When I called to explain the issue he stated there is no filter that they didn't change. I gave him the part number and he acknowledged he had no idea it was in there, similar to the original poster in this thread. He said they'd have to do some research and then come pick it up later this week. It's 150.00 each way trip charge plus the super cheap labor charge it's going to cost me (I think it's 179 an hour or something). I know I can test this in 15 minutes by removing the screen inside if I can just find the filter.

Is it embedded rather than sticking out obviously with 2 lines on each side? Is that why I'm missing it?

/ Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #17  
Mike
Good pics.
And I see your cross-over pipe but do not see a filter in that pipe (tubing) where mine was located. So maybe fixed with this trouble-some filter removed. ??

Here is a link to a previous post that shows a filter in a different version of that cross-over pipe that drops down

I will look for pics of the replacement (and longer) filter that was installed on my 4300. But mine does not cross over that low (just looked).

From your pic, I've put white lines on the cross-over pipe and a white X where my original filter (screen) was located. Now I believe it is in the end of that pipe on the left side (but not certain of that). Been 22 years since changing that pipe.

Attachments

• 4300 screen.jpg
    4300 screen.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 76
   / Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #18  
On a side note, noticed the lynch pins on your 3 ph arms. I lost one of those while working in brush and nearly had a broken casting as a result when brush hogging.
Because so seldom ever needing the arms removed, I replaced those lynch pins with bolts and lock nuts. Something to consider.
Rendition of your pic.

Attachments

• 4300 pin change.jpg
    4300 pin change.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
   / Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #19  
and please get rid of that way too long top link pin before it vibrates over and one of the lift arms catches it and breaks something that you really don't want to buy!

/ Torn Rockshaft Filter 4300 #20  
Thank you both for the advice on the pins. It's blatantly obvious I have no idea what I'm doing and I sincerely appreciate the feedback fellas.