Tooth bar?

/ Tooth bar?
I'd say there is not a chance of this working unless its some small tree that has most roots near the surface and the soil is loose as can be.

I dug out some 5-6" gum trees last week using my Terramite backhoe. It took a lot of digging around and under the stumps with the backhoe bucket just to loosen them enough to get them out. The tap roots went so far into the ground that there was no way to use the FEL to dig down far enough to get at the roots below and I have a Piranha tooth bar on the front bucket.
It's a Maple
How many 10 " tree stumps are you talking about??......If it's just 3-4 that would probably work. Myself, I use an axe for these small jobs.

Cheers,
Mike
It's a clump of 3 maple tree stumps, one about 10" and the other two about 4". They are where I want to build a shed.
If I can't get them out I will have to cut them flush to the ground and build over them but I really didn't want the shed that high.

/ Tooth bar? #12  
I'd imagine you'll do OK with the 4" stumps, the 10" is probably more time and effort then it's worth with a tooth bar like that.

/ Tooth bar? #13  
Scratch around the stump with a sub-soiler to bust up the roots first and any dry compacted ground. I think you will have better luck after that with a sharp garden spade to dig a little and cut roots.

Then use the loader to push it around some and a chain on the drawbar to pull it out. I don't think a tooth bar on your B7210 will be much help.

/ Tooth bar? #14  
My Terramite T5c has a 48" front bucket with toothbar and 13" digging bucket.

This gum tree had a 8" trunk at the surface with 43" hidden under the ground. It was hard on the Terramite digging it out with the digging bucket on the backhoe even though I paced myself to dig in smaller bites. The ground was moist when I dug it out last week.

It was also growing in a cluster of other similar sized trees so the combined root system made it harder to dig out.

On the other hand, I was able to push out this much smaller tree whose roots were at the surface and didn't have a tap root with the FEL. But keep in mind that the T5c is built from plate steel and is heavier than it looks in pictures.

For the price of a toothbar, you might could rent a stump grinder or pay someone to grind them out.

Also worth mentioning is I loosened a stump similar to this one with the T5c and tried pulling it out with the drawbar on my MX5200 in 4wd to see if it would be any easier. Although it came out, I was mindful of the risk of flipping the MX trying to pull a firmly embedded stump that doesn't want to budge. So I dug the rest of the stumps out with the T5c instead of taking that risk.

8 inch stump.jpg13 inch dig.jpg43 inch below ground.jpg48 inch tooth bar.jpgshallow roots.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tooth bar? #15  
Have you noticed - the FEL and a tooth bar on the bucket is not the first implement, of choice, for digging. The FEL and bucket are not designed for digging. Very good chance something will get bent or damaged.

I suggest - paying to have the stumps ground out. OR dig out around the stumps - remove the soil - cut the stumps out with a chain saw.

/ Tooth bar?
My Terramite T5c has a 48" front bucket with toothbar and 13" digging bucket.

This gum tree had a 8" trunk at the surface with 43" hidden under the ground. It was hard on the Terramite digging it out with the digging bucket on the backhoe even though I paced myself to dig in smaller bites. The ground was moist when I dug it out last week.

It was also growing in a cluster of other similar sized trees so the combined root system made it harder to dig out.

On the other hand, I was able to push out this much smaller tree whose roots were at the surface and didn't have a tap root with the FEL. But keep in mind that the T5c is built from plate steel and is heavier than it looks in pictures.

For the price of a toothbar, you might could rent a stump grinder or pay someone to grind them out.

Also worth mentioning is I loosened a stump similar to this one with the T5c and tried pulling it out with the drawbar on my MX5200 in 4wd to see if it would be any easier. Although it came out, I was mindful of the risk of flipping the MX trying to pull a firmly embedded stump that doesn't want to budge. So I dug the rest of the stumps out with the T5c instead of taking that risk.

View attachment 842089View attachment 842090View attachment 842091View attachment 842092View attachment 842093
Maple tree roots don't go that deep but they can spread out from the tree for quite a few feet.

/ Tooth bar? #18  
Use the money to rent a mini-ex for the day. So much easier and won't risk damaging your tractor.

/ Tooth bar? #19  
tooth bar will not be much help on this and with it shorter than the bucket you increase the chances of the dreaded bucket smiley face.

wait B7210 is the the model with the B1640 loader?
970 lbs of breakout force?
you are kidding yourself or you do not plan to complete this task for a few years,
i'm nuts and even i think long and hard about taking on a 10" hardwood stump with my 7000lbs beast that has like 5000lbs of breakout force.
rent something and use you tractor for other things instead of having it in the shop for repairs.

this is not intended as a knock on your tractor or kubota in general just that the B7200 series is not enough for this task

Last edited:
   / Tooth bar? #20  
A 10” stump is a pretty big task for a small tractor and an excellent way to bend the loader. Try cutting enough roots with a sawzall that you can pull it over with a chain. Maples don’t root very good so there’s a possibility it would work. If that doesn’t work I’d either have the stump ground or just set the shed on top of it.