Tooth bar?

/ Tooth bar?
Thanks for all the responses.
So, after visiting the Kubota Tractor store and talking with a tractor customer from my area, I'm going to order a Piranha tooth bar.
I was told that this tooth bar will shred the roots of a maple tree like pealing a potato.
Maple tree roots grow outward so I was told I could easily shred even a 3" root an inch at a time with a Piranha tooth bar.
I just have to work my way around the stump about 3' to 4' away from the base until I get all the way around and the stump will push over.
It shouldn't put any undo strain on my tractor, fingers crossed.
My tractor is a 2003 Kubota B2710 by the way. I had a case of dyslexia when I became a member. :p

Last edited:
   / Tooth bar? #22  
I have a pirahna tooth bar. Very nice, bolts to the sides of the bucket. I deal with alot of stumps but I never use the fel bucket for that. I have a post and tree puller for small trees and I can dig out stumps with a stump bucket. Leaves a big hole to dress. I burn out the larger ones. So far so good. Good luck!

/ Tooth bar? #23  
I have a LandPride toothbar on my B7800. This combination is impossible to mess up: I've popped and bent the toothbar but the bucket didn't bend- was driving hard against a big trunk [on the ground] at an angle. Have ripped and dug like a mad man: I've done stuff I won't discuss here. I wouldn't try this with any other tractor than one of the B-series. I've also used a hardcore boxblade on the B7800 to rip roots and that helped. Those are days-gone-by, however, and now days I will only use an excavator to do any stump work.

/ Tooth bar? #24  
I have a chance to buy a 48" Heavy Hitch tooth bar, barely used for half the price of a new one. The only thing is, I have a 54" bucket. Will it still work well enough to dig out some tree stumps?
Mine bolts to either side of the FEL Bucket. So a 48" bar in a 54" bucket's likely six inches shy of a full deck and will need some fabrication to hold it in place.

Also, from my limited experience with my FEL, digging is not its forte/strong suite. Shoveling, maybe, but digging out stumps sounds like a job for a backhoe or excavator.

Let us know!

/ Tooth bar? #25  
I have a LandPride toothbar on my B7800. This combination is impossible to mess up: I've popped and bent the toothbar but the bucket didn't bend- was driving hard against a big trunk [on the ground] at an angle. Have ripped and dug like a mad man: I've done stuff I won't discuss here. I wouldn't try this with any other tractor than one of the B-series. I've also used a hardcore boxblade on the B7800 to rip roots and that helped. Those are days-gone-by, however, and now days I will only use an excavator to do any stump work.
Wow! I've a B7800 - never thought it was so tough! Good to hear, I guess.

/ Tooth bar? #26  
You can take your tooth bar to a welding shop and have
them weld a piece on one end to extend bar so it fits in
the bucket so less chance to bend it????????

willy

/ Tooth bar? #27  
This is my heavy duty Kubota bucket and Rankin tooth bar. This tooth bar is attached by drilling thru the bucket and bolting it directly to the lip. The four bolts are Grade 8 - one inch diameter. This tooth bar adds substantial strength to the lip of the bucket.
IMG_0270.jpeg

/ Tooth bar? #28  
I have a Kubota L3000 DT with a 60” bucket and a tooth bar that slips onto the cutting edge of the bucket and bolts to the sides. Depending on the soil composition where you are the tooth bar may or may not work. If you have rocky ground, good luck. The size of the hole you are going to have to dig will be huge. FEL’s don’t dig down like a backhoe does. And a root 1” in diameter can be as strong as a rope. When you have two or three of them they are hard to break.

Give it a go but be careful tractor parts are getting expensive these days.

Randy

/ Tooth bar? #29  
It shouldn't put any undo strain on my tractor, fingers crossed.
If you say so...

Have tried this with our tooth bar on a 60" bucket... Not very successful.

We acquired a stump bucket. That is more successful. (Amazon.com) To rip roots, you get the saw tooth edge of the bucket under the root and curl some and drag backward to rip. It takes practice and I'm still learning.

Out of some frustration with the process, we acquired an LS sub compact with a back hoe. Again, somewhat better and easier to use but still limited.

Dealing with stumps puts strain on the tractors. Care is needed - don't overdue for as @RSteiner wrote, tractor parts are expensive and you can bend/torque the loader arms quickly if one over does things.

Take time, go slow, you can gitter dun.

/ Tooth bar? #30  
This is my heavy duty Kubota bucket and Rankin tooth bar. This tooth bar is attached by drilling thru the bucket and bolting it directly to the lip. The four bolts are Grade 8 - one inch diameter. This tooth bar adds substantial strength to the lip of the bucket.
View attachment 846941
have same set up w/Woods. btw the MXX40 series tractor is imho the best Utility series they've produced.