Tools & equipment that are fantastic.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #221  
Curious if any one owns one of these, I can see it being useful, being cordless and somewhat powerful at 90k btu. If I owned one I probably would have used it a quite a bit already. But I already own two 120v corded salamanders. If your somewhat handy you can pick used 120v ones up for next to nothing at a summer garage sale. Don't own the DeWalt one maybe next Christmas lol.

I have a propane one. Its convenient not having to drag a cord out especially on a new construction where it might take 150 ft of cord to reach the temporary pole. The battery last for a long time.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #222  
A business next door years ago had a similar one, a large open garage and they ran it one cold night. Next morning my shop cat was dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.
I suspect there's more to this story. I own one of these, and although I've never run one all night, I've used it many years in garages and barns of all type, with never a problem. Yes, they emit CO and water vapor, but if properly maintained and run on the proper fuel (kero, not diesel or no.2), the levels don't climb to any point they should be killing a cat in a well-ventilated building.

Maybe they had a fouled air filter, bad injector, something else also running in the building for additive effect? Too many people ignore recommended maintenance on their equipment, and then blame the equipment design when things go wrong, rather than acknowledging the real problem.

Having said all of that, they're not exactly "health food", either. Those sensitive to CO can get a mild headache if you operate these in a building with poor ventilation.

Last edited:
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #223  
I suspect there's more to this story. I own one of these, and although I've never run one all night, I've used it many years in garages and barns of all type, with never a problem. Yes, they emit CO and water vapor, but if properly maintained and run on the proper fuel (kero, not diesel or no.2), the levels don't climb to any point they should be killing a cat in a well-ventilated building.

Maybe they had a fouled air filter, bad injector, something else also running in the building for additive effect? Too many people ignore recommended maintenance on their equipment, and then blame the equipment design when things go wrong, rather than acknowledging the real problem.

Having said all of that, they're not exactly "health food", either. Those sensitive to CO can get a mild headache if you operate these in a building with poor ventilation.
Depending on temp outside I run my 135k btu for 5-15mins to take chill out of air in shop, I dont keep shop heated, a "7.5 k btu" forced air electric shop heater then keeps shop tolerable. Obviously not advisable and feel Im pretty aware of health effects but have run low sulfur off road diesel in it for years. Also use a window mounted repurposed high CFM exhaust fan when I weld in shop. Still think a portable hybrid heater like I posted would be invaluable and I'd probably use a lot.
"Correction, it's a 7500 watt 25k wall hung btu electric shop heater"

Last edited:
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #224  
Final thought on diesel/ kerosene torpedo heaters to be safer and need it to run extended periods in confined space probably should use or buy one with a exchanger/ vent kit Imo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210-123457.png
    Screenshot_20230210-123457.png
    490.1 KB · Views: 59
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic.
Unfortunately cat probably passed away from something not related to that heater.
Rest of the story: I called fire department who showed up within minutes. Their equipment showed carbon monoxide level was "off the charts" (fire Marshall). Vet autopsy proved cause of death, 8 yo healthy cat found dead at the door.
Again, I'm sure those heaters are fine, propane would be best...but whatever one I would use a CO detector.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #227  
I guess this legally falls under the "fantastic tools", but I installed a minisplit HVAC system in my current shop, and it's the best money I've ever spent. If it's nice outside, I'm usually working on stuff outdoors. But now my shop is heated and air-conditioned, as a wonderful workspace whenever the weather is too miserable to be outside. I actually appreciate the cooling in summer far more than the heating in winter, as I don't mind working outside in the January cold, as much as the July heat.

Related to the above, now my Reddy jet heater is only used to occasionally bring the shed up to temperature to start the zero turn mid-winter (cold hydro pump), or to point at me when working outside on exceptionally cold days.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #228  
My father used kerosene heaters for backup heat in the greenhouse. He also had one to keep his uninsulated shop from freezing, until the price of oil went up back in the '70s.

He gave me his smallest heater, a little Knipco which was great for warming my tractor, or heating the air around it when temps were 0'F and I needed to work on something. Eventually it stopped working and although I took it apart and got it to work again- by leaving a spring out of the motor- I never used it again. It's been down in the shed for 10 years or more, this spring I will probably toss it.

That cordless unit looks like the cat's meow.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #229  
Rest of the story: I called fire department who showed up within minutes. Their equipment showed carbon monoxide level was "off the charts" (fire Marshall). Vet autopsy proved cause of death, 8 yo healthy cat found dead at the door.
Again, I'm sure those heaters are fine, propane would be best...but whatever one I would use a CO detector.
We got gassed once using one of those in a cold storage unit for apples. I was never sure if it was the kerosene bullet heater or the propane forklift, but there were two of us working and we both were out sick for the next day.
To this day I can't stand the smell of propane.

I know, I know. Somebody will tell me the scent is added; yet it's still the same thing.