Tools & equipment that are fantastic.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #1  

Fuddyduddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere
I was working on my F150 today thinking of a couple great things I bought years ago. One is this Fisher pneumatic lift, $800 delivered. As a teenager I worked at a service station that had a 4 post lift and a Fisher lift exactly like this one. We rarely ever used the 4 post since this is easier. I use 6 jack stands (I know it's overkill).
The other is a portable HF compressor, $90 on sale. I have a large 2 stage shop compressor but again, convenient. I built so many things with it using air nailers, impact wrenches, etc.
Curious what tools/equipment others have that weren't all that expensive at the time that are useful.
20221211_155004.jpg
20221211_154921.jpg

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #2  
Had a friend that ran a garage and people would bring there vehicles to him to rotate the tires. He would lift one side of the vehicle up, rotate the tires and go to the next side. It would take him 15-20 minutes to rotate the 4 tires and he was charging 12.00 dollars.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #3  
Over the years I have bought many tools that were really good deals and very useful. But they were mostly tools related to my job as a machinist. But one tool, that I bought about 20 years ago for 250 bucks has been super useful. A Lincoln SP125+ MIG welder. It came with a full cylinder of gas and a large spool of welding wire. Now I mostly use it with flux core wire because I have another MIG welder that I use with gas.
But even though my other MIG welder is a 300 amp machine and I have 3 whips for it, two 25 foot long Python whips for push/pull welding of either aluminum or steel and one 12 foot regular whip I use for just steel the Lincoln still gets lots of use. For the person who is doing the usual steel fabricating using material 1/4 inch or less and needs to weld stuff the Lincoln SP125+ is a great machine. Both the wire speed and the welding voltage are infinitely adjustable and this is a feature that helps so much when trying to get the weld to be as good as possible. Most machines in this category have just 3 or 4 settings and cannot weld like the Lincoln. I use mine almost always with fluxcore wire. But I will use gas when needed.
I am amazed at how well this little welder works and for how many hours I have used it, and I bought it used! I have a friend with one of these and he hardly uses it. I have been trying to talk him into selling it to me so that I can have one set up for gas and the other for fluxcore.
For general steel fabrication that involves welding this little 125 volt welder can't be beat. And if a person has a big torch, like a weed burner, heavier steel can be welded, even 1/2 inch. It's gotta be plenty hot but it can be done, I've done it and the welds were good. Anyway, I have found this machine to be very useful and great for all sorts of builds and repairs.
Eric

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #4  
I have had this chain come-along for so long that I don't know where I got it or what it cost:

P8130001.JPG
P8130002.JPG
P8130003.JPG

Hooked it to the crane scale to see it's pulling power:

P3100008.JPG
P3100012.JPG

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #5  
My latest discovery is Milwaukee cordless tools. I've had DeWalt for 15 years. What an upgrade!!!!! No comparison.

For simplicity. I like this tool. It's used to stretch single strand wire, or barbed wire. I've been so crude as to chain it to the tractor and use it to tighten the wire. Easiest way is with a come along.

20221212_180956.jpg

20221212_181014.jpg

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #6  
When I decided to do a complete restoration of my '70 Nova, one of the first things I bought was a rotisserie. Doing any kind of body work on it was so easy when you could position it so it is easy to work on. Was worth every penny, and when I'm done with it, hopefully this coming spring or summer, I have a couple of friends that want to buy it for their projects.

Attachments

• IMG_20170218_133414399.jpg
    IMG_20170218_133414399.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 191
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #7  
My latest discovery is Milwaukee cordless tools. I've had DeWalt for 15 years. What an upgrade!!!!! No comparison.

For simplicity. I like this tool. It's used to stretch single strand wire, or barbed wire. I've been so crude as to chain it to the tractor and use it to tighten the wire. Easiest way is with a come along.

View attachment 774343

View attachment 774344

Are you comparing lithium tools to other lithium battery tools? My Dewalt battery framing nailer sucks and my buddies Milwaukee battery nailer is way better. Milwaukee makes a more capable battery impact but most people aren’t going to pay upwards of 1k for the top end model. Besides those 2 examples I’ve not seen any big difference between the 2.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #8  
Arguing DeWalt v. Milwaukee?
LOL
Thats like arguing Ford v. Chevy

Brand loyalty is so stupid. Doesn’t anyone understand thats what manufacturers want you to do? They WANT you to be a stooge for them.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #9  
I was working on my F150 today thinking of a couple great things I bought years ago. One is this Fisher pneumatic lift, $800 delivered. As a teenager I worked at a service station that had a 4 post lift and a Fisher lift exactly like this one. We rarely ever used the 4 post since this is easier. I use 6 jack stands (I know it's overkill).
I have two of those lifts. I added a tee to the air inlet on one so I could use both at the same time to lift the whole car. It mostly worked ok but lowering was a toss-up. Sometimes they worked together. Sometimes they didn't. I haven't used them in maybe 15-20 years. They both need new rubber ram seals. The Chinese rubber lasted only a couple of years. I think I got mine at Northern Tools. Same design, different name.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #10  
Are you comparing lithium tools to other lithium battery tools? My Dewalt battery framing nailer sucks and my buddies Milwaukee battery nailer is way better. Milwaukee makes a more capable battery impact but most people aren’t going to pay upwards of 1k for the top end model. Besides those 2 examples I’ve not seen any big difference between the 2.
Yes. Power. Battery life. Features. My Son has a Milwaukee 1/2" impact that is more powerful than my Snap-on 1/2" air impact.