Tire chains for 5600

/ Tire chains for 5600 #1  

Slummer

Tractor
2013 Toolcat 5600 F Series
Purchased a 2013 F series 5600 this past summer, going into my first winter of blowing snow. Private gravel road and lane way in Northern Ontario with lots of hills and ice, no pavement. (the T190 with tracks couldn't handle it). I've read that some are using studded truck tires with good success but I wanted to try chains the first year.

1. Type of chain to use? round link or square link ladder style with 2 link spacing for smoother ride or do you move to the trygg type of chain?

2. Can you get away with chains on the front only or go all four tires?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

/ Tire chains for 5600 #2  
That tractor has a substantial front axle but Chaining up the front only would be asking for trouble.

I'd forget about the rest and go for trygg your probably looking at 1800 for the rears in "smt flexi", trygg dose have a new economy chain in the same style "fast trac" not sure on pricing as I never looked into them.

I feel they are well worth the money put a set on the rear and you won't even need 4wd and there so smooth you will not even know there on.

/ Tire chains for 5600 #3  
When I purchased the first Toolcat in 2004 I had studded M & S installed in the hopes that I could avoid chains. Unfortunately, that was not a viable option considering the terrain here in the Sierras. Initially I used generic commercial chains from different suppliers but found that we were killing ourselves having to rebuild the chains in the middle of the season, sometimes more than once. Some years back a friend that also does snow removal called and told me he was placing a large chain order and did I want to order and share shipping costs. Turns out that was the best decision I could have made. I purchased very aggressive Trygg chains with the raised ‘studs’ and cross links every other link. I have been running those same chains on all three TC’s for the last 4 years and the only thing we do pre-season is ‘hard face’ the studs which so far has last an entire season. The added benefit is that there is very little my TC’s won’t climb and have not had a unit stuck since, not to mention that the ride is improved as the cross links are close enough that the ‘rubber’ does not hit the road, only the chain.

The other item that drove me crazy was the fact that I could not keep a set of ‘shoes’ on the SB200’s for a whole season even after hard facing, etc. and purchasing them at $85.00 each was getting costly. I ended up purchasing ‘shoes’ from Erskine that were intended for the larger blower and adapted them to the SB200. That was 5 years ago and I have not purchased or repaired one shoe. I have benefit greatly from this forum over the years and hope that my post will help someone in return.

Tim

/ Tire chains for 5600 #4  
Tim has offered very good ideas based years of experience. If installing chains do all 4 tires. The 5600 is full time 4wd, with at least 1 front and 1 rear wheel pulling. Putting chains on just one axle is likely going to throw the "axle matching" off with increased rolling circumfrence with the cahins and could give some drive issues.

/ Tire chains for 5600
When I purchased the first Toolcat in 2004 I had studded M & S installed in the hopes that I could avoid chains. Unfortunately, that was not a viable option considering the terrain here in the Sierras. Initially I used generic commercial chains from different suppliers but found that we were killing ourselves having to rebuild the chains in the middle of the season, sometimes more than once. Some years back a friend that also does snow removal called and told me he was placing a large chain order and did I want to order and share shipping costs. Turns out that was the best decision I could have made. I purchased very aggressive Trygg chains with the raised 壮tuds and cross links every other link. I have been running those same chains on all three TC痴 for the last 4 years and the only thing we do pre-season is 蘇ard face the studs which so far has last an entire season. The added benefit is that there is very little my TC痴 won稚 climb and have not had a unit stuck since, not to mention that the ride is improved as the cross links are close enough that the 喪ubber does not hit the road, only the chain.

The other item that drove me crazy was the fact that I could not keep a set of 壮hoes on the SB200痴 for a whole season even after hard facing, etc. and purchasing them at $85.00 each was getting costly. I ended up purchasing 壮hoes from Erskine that were intended for the larger blower and adapted them to the SB200. That was 5 years ago and I have not purchased or repaired one shoe. I have benefit greatly from this forum over the years and hope that my post will help someone in return.

Tim

Thank you very much Tim. Looking at the Trygg web site, they have the ladder style of chain with stud length varying from 5 to 13 mm. They call them the Trygg Standard Double Duty. Is this the chain style that you are using and if so what length of stud did you order? And I'm assuming you have them on all 4 tires.

Ted

/ Tire chains for 5600 #6  
I countersunk rims on back side to push wheels out for chain clearance. Clearance between tire and spring on inside is not enough for heavy duty chains. Chain diameter is 3/8... Rims are plenty thick to achieve this.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141113_181545.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141113_181545.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,012
  • ForumRunner_20141113_181706.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141113_181706.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 547
   / Tire chains for 5600 #7  
The 5-13 mm refers to the diameter of the chain link and stud not the length, i don't believe those style chains are offered in tractor sizes. Is you rear 18.4-30? Front 12.4-24? I was drooling over a 5600 the other day didn't realize they were awd, but it makes sense.

Edit
Up till now I thought you were talking about a Massey ferguson 5600 farm tractor, so just disregard my ramblings.

Last edited:
   / Tire chains for 5600 #8  
Slummer,

I will need to check when I get home for the actual chain 'model'. They are a 'ladder' style and not web styled. Not knowing how long the new chains would hold up, I did at the time purchase another six axle sets which are still brand new in the bags in my shop. let me confirm and get back to you. You may also wish to look closely at the clearances on your unit as things do changes with newer models. FWIW, in the future you will find pricing, shipping, and availability much more desirable if you order in the spring for a fall delivery.

/ Tire chains for 5600 #9  
Slummer, et al:

I just read my post and need to apologize, I have been up since 2:00/am my time on 'snow watch' and obviously need to reread my postings before the enter key. Slummer, you asked a question previously that I failed to answer. You asked about chaining all four wheels. The answer is yes, and I almost want to tell that my Service Manager at Bobcat (I have an awesome dealership in Stockton, CA) telling me NOT to chain one axle only. This is not gospel but I would error on the side of caution. I'm attaching a photo (cell phone) of the actual 'tag' on my Trygg Chains. Hope this helps. These chains sure made my life (and back) much easier!

Attachments

• Trygg Chains.jpg
    Trygg Chains.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 469
   / Tire chains for 5600 #10  
I countersunk rims on back side to push wheels out for chain clearance. Clearance between tire and spring on inside is not enough for heavy duty chains. Chain diameter is 3/8... Rims are plenty thick to achieve this.
Stihl Man, where did you get the underbed box for the 5600? I like the headache rack, did you make that?