tips for smoothing trench

/ tips for smoothing trench #1  

72chevy4x4

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038e
Trying to smooth out 600' of trench and wondering if there's a better method. I've gone back and forth with my lawn rake starting off at an angle to draw the trenched material toward the depression and finally after it was relatively filled I went back and forth with the lawn rake straight ahead. I wasn't able to get the dirt to fill in the small depression though. Any tips on filling the small depression?

Attachments

• IMG_D31A2A0D37B8-1.jpeg
    IMG_D31A2A0D37B8-1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 215
   / tips for smoothing trench #2  
I see a Landscape Rake in your photo.

Turn your Landscape Rake 180 degrees so the rake will not grab, then try again.

Last edited:
   / tips for smoothing trench #4  
I agree with Peter 315, not enough material and even if you could finally get it level, it will settle quite a bit after a couple rains. Ken Sweet

/ tips for smoothing trench #5  
I agree with Peter 315, not enough material and even if you could finally get it level, it will settle quite a bit after a couple rains. Ken Sweet
I agree too. You need more material. It seems like it would be a simple job to fill it in level and compacted since it used to be that way.... , but without doing the whole field I think you will be ahead to just bring in some more material.
Then you cn spread it roughly with a FEL and and drag it until smooth. For a drag, we use a roll of old chain link fencing and drag it with a a couple of chains. By adjusting the length of the chain you can even angle the drag to move the loose fill sideways where it is needed.

rScotty

/ tips for smoothing trench #6  
If ground somewhat soft rough the ground both side of trench than back blade 180 degrees.

/ tips for smoothing trench #7  
You said that when the rake was angled, you got the depression relatively filled.

So why not do that some more and fill it, or overfill, more? Do you end up with gaps / unevenly filled trench? Just overfill other spots then drag it out to low spots, right?

What is that trench? Is a dead furrow to channel water out of the field?

/ tips for smoothing trench #8  
Is running a wide tiller over it an option? I have good luck with that most of the time.

/ tips for smoothing trench #9  
Pile of imported soil,wheel barrow and a shovel

/ tips for smoothing trench
You said that when the rake was angled, you got the depression relatively filled.
What is that trench? Is a dead furrow to channel water out of the field?

I kept running back and forth over it and it wasn't filling in the last ~2". the mound of dirt I was pulling just wouldn't fill it.

the trench is a 1-1/4" supply line from the pump to the tank (pond) on a clients ranch-I've trenched 950', 650', 600' and 300' on this project.