Those DARN lynch pins

/ Those DARN lynch pins #42  
The solid frame QH design should minimize the need for a washer. In fact, with a tight fitting solid frame, one might be able to get away with no lynch pin at all.

That's why I wasn't familiar with these bent washers as my JD iMatch QH is a rigid rectangle. I also use the JD supplied bushings which nearly have to 'whacked' on, they fit so tightly.

But now I know about them and, if a mates tractor requires them, I'll be able to advise accordingly. I've learnt something new, which makes it a great day!

/ Those DARN lynch pins #43  
I use "R" pins, and just push them all the way through until they're hanging. Haven't lost a pin in 5 years. To remove, just tap out with hammer or whatever is in the toolbox.

I know this is an older post, but a recent problem for me (and maybe others) As I was searching the forums I found this - seems like one of the most common sense suggestions I’ve seen in a while, no fancy gimmicks or bunch of expensive hardware, just push the R pins all the way in. I always have a screwdriver or something I could put in the ring and pop them out. Thank you joecdeere.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #44  
I know this is an older post, but a recent problem for me (and maybe others) As I was searching the forums I found this - seems like one of the most common sense suggestions I’ve seen in a while, no fancy gimmicks or bunch of expensive hardware, just push the R pins all the way in. I always have a screwdriver or something I could put in the ring and pop them out. Thank you joecdeere.
Yea I have popped those out just as often.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #45  
anyone that has to move pins a lot weld a flexable chain on and you will have them
a long time

willy

/ Those DARN lynch pins #46  
I use the "standard" lynch pins. I push them clear thru until they are hanging by the finger loop. If you stop them at the notches on the top wire - then there is the finger loop there to catch on things.

I only lost a couple pins - in the beginning - when they were pushed thru to the notches. I've not lost a single pin - in over 35 years - by pushing thru to the finger loop.

I use a small set of channel lock pliers to remove these pins. Pretty difficult removal w/out these pliers.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #47  
While at Tractor Supply, check out the black lynch pins. Those are super strong pins. I've not had one ever come loose but the zinc plated yellow ones have come off a couple of times.

Just don't get your finger caught in one while testing it.

Another trick is to put a large, properly fitting, washer between the pin and the ball.

View attachment 430888 View attachment 430889

My tractor came with galvanized linch pins from the dealer and those are excellent linch pins. The black ones are good too. The gold-colored ones stink, they bend easily and the springs are weak.

Lot's of humans here, I see! Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I have considered replacing several pins with grade 8 bolts with nylon insert lock nuts. (ones I don't remove often) Grade 8 bolts DON'T break, and no amount of vibration will loosen a nylon lock nut. TSC sells them by the pound. Don't remember exact $, but they're cheap.

As for forgetting to hook up stuff -- i got no fix for that. :)

If you want a nut that will never come off of a bolt, forget nylocks. Just get the bolt and nut good and rusty after you put the nut on. You will twist off the grade 8 bolt in trying to loosen the rusted-on nut. Been there, done that a bunch of times. The grade 8s just take a longer cheater bar to twist off than a grade 5.

Grade 8 bolts and nuts are usually $5-6 per pound around here.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #48  
The best Lynch pin that I have seen is for the Kubota mini-ex for the removal of the bucket. They are more expensive but way better.

I managed to loose one even though they are good because of working the bucket up in tree branches.
Replaced with bolt and double nut. Just tighten the nuts together and they don't come loose

IMG_2013.JPG

/ Those DARN lynch pins #49  
Just put a lock nut on the bolt

willy