Those DARN lynch pins

/ Those DARN lynch pins
I'm a bit paranoid about losing lynch pins. The first time the pin doesn't function properly or feels easy to open, I pitch it. I carry replacements in the toolbox.

I've never lost one from the top link though.

When I was a kid my Dad always used the kind that the pin is short enough for the clip to go past it. If he couldn't find that kind and had to buy the longer ones, he cut the pin off. I've looked for that kind for several years but can never find them.

I made several pairs of the washered pins. They work great for hitching a QH to a pinned implement. Keeps the washer out against the end of the implement pin for easy hookup.

I've never seen the kind with the shorter pin. Interesting.
My tractor has a couple of pins that have square (or rectangle) clips rather than round. They seem to work a little better than the round ones. I've never seen them at a store. May be a dealership or OE thing.

/ Those DARN lynch pins
I'm a bit paranoid about losing lynch pins. The first time the pin doesn't function properly or feels easy to open, I pitch it. I carry replacements in the toolbox.

I've never lost one from the top link though.

When I was a kid my Dad always used the kind that the pin is short enough for the clip to go past it. If he couldn't find that kind and had to buy the longer ones, he cut the pin off. I've looked for that kind for several years but can never find them.

I made several pairs of the washered pins. They work great for hitching a QH to a pinned implement. Keeps the washer out against the end of the implement pin for easy hookup.

I've never seen the kind with the shorter pin. Interesting.
My tractor has a couple of pins that have square (or rectangle) clips rather than round. They seem to work a little better than the round ones. I've never seen them at a store. May be a dealership or OE thing.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #23  
I had thought about using some of them t-handle types with the pushbutton on top to release, but they are pricey.

I havent lost any in quite some time since I am using a quick hitch type lower hooks.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #24  
While at Tractor Supply, check out the black lynch pins. Those are super strong pins. I've not had one ever come loose but the zinc plated yellow ones have come off a couple of times.

Just don't get your finger caught in one while testing it.

Another trick is to put a large, properly fitting, washer between the pin and the ball.

View attachment 430888 View attachment 430889

Lots of great info here. The HD black hitch pins will stay on seemingly forever. Five years ago I bought 10 to use on my tiller. I stll have 10.

On the washer thing--that's a genius idea and one I plan to borrow.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #25  
No disasters for me, but give me time. I did discover that 2 of the four bolts that hold the loader quick attach plate to the loader frame were gone, and another was missing, that could've been interesting. I replaced them and keep a close eye on those now. I have also managed to drive off from detaching an implement with half of it still hooked on, and I have pulled the PTO shaft off my brush hog several times. A tractor gives plenty of opportunities for human error to make itself apparent.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #26  
   / Those DARN lynch pins #27  
Lots of great info here. The HD black hitch pins will stay on seemingly forever. Five years ago I bought 10 to use on my tiller. I stll have 10.

On the washer thing--that's a genius idea and one I plan to borrow.

Regarding these 'bent' washers... I'm not familiar with them and, as far as I can determine, I don't have them on my tractor. What's the purpose?

/ Those DARN lynch pins #28  
Regarding these 'bent' washers... I'm not familiar with them and, as far as I can determine, I don't have them on my tractor. What's the purpose?

I had several of them when I was using Carter quick hitches. If you have a Pats or Carters's or any other kind of quick hitch, the washer/pin combo as shown will keep the washer out there on the outer edge of the draw pin where it acts as a shoulder, that makes it easier/safer when hooking up and less chance of slipping off than just a pin alone. You just leave them on each implement all the time, as you are not slipping hitch balls over a pin now, you are just hooking the pins from below now. Make sense?

/ Those DARN lynch pins #29  
If you have a Pats or Carters's or any other kind of quick hitch..... Make sense?

Pat's yes, standard quick hitch no. Doesn't the rigid frame of the QH prevent and side to side movement and shouldn't need anything on the end of the pin anyway?

/ Those DARN lynch pins #30  
Pat's yes, standard quick hitch no. Doesn't the rigid frame of the QH prevent and side to side movement and shouldn't need anything on the end of the pin anyway?

good point.