Third function-diverter- or something different?

/ Third function-diverter- or something different?
Convenience is not getting on & off the tract 7 times to put a log on the mill!
And I prefer mechanical over electrical.

/ Third function-diverter- or something different? #12  
I assume that you're here looking/asking for opinions? Here's one more.

The three spool valve you linked to will work in your application, no doubt. It wouldn't be my choice, but then it's not my tractor or my project. You mentioned earlier about a valve with one float spool. This one has none. Not a big deal in my opinion, but depending on your intended use for the loader you might use that feature somewhere down the line. I'm sure there are plenty of others that do have a float spool.

My biggest beef would be the BSPP ports. I always look for components with SAE O ring ports. Better selection, availability, and price on fittings and adapters.

Whatever valve you decide on, I do suggest you go the extra ten feet, get the power beyond sleeve, and add the third hose. It will be worth the effort down the road.

/ Third function-diverter- or something different? #13  
My tractor has rear rear remotes so my grapple close/open is right next to the 3pt lift lever at my right side. Generaly lifting logs unless I get the log in the back of the graple or the lid closes just right I have to lift the loader a bit and close the grapple again. Makes for lots of arm moving. Takes time and kind of sucks. I bought the machine like this or else I would just buy the $500 3rd function kit and I still may do that.

I also have a sawmill and find forks to work just as good. I actualy didnt buy a grapple for logs, I bought it for brush.

/ Third function-diverter- or something different? #14  
Thank you.
The 3-point hitch is hard lined in from the factory.
That's interesting. Where does loader control valve get its pressure now?

I see nothing wroing with your basic three spool idea. Do get a valve with a power beyond option, and don''t forget to order the special PB sleeve - it's usually a $20 adder.
PB sleeves differ for every valve on the market, and finding the right one later is impossible.

With the PB optional port & special sleeve you have the option to power another valve set somewhere else... like for rear remotes.

That leaves relief valve, float position, separate lever vs joystick, and the port threads. I go for an adjustable relief, one float, and separate levers. The BSPP port thread would be in competition for my least favorite port thread.
But your choice on any of those.
rScotty

That's interesting. Where does loader control valve get its pressure now?

I see nothing wroing with your basic three spool idea. Do get a valve with a power beyond option, and don''t forget to order the special PB sleeve - it's usually a $20 adder.
PB sleeves differ for every valve on the market, and finding the right one later is impossible.

With the PB optional port & special sleeve you have the option to power another valve set somewhere else... like for rear remotes.

That leaves relief valve, float position, separate lever vs joystick, and the port threads. I go for an adjustable relief, one float, and separate levers. The BSPP port thread would be in competition for my least favorite port thread.
But your choice on any of those.
rScotty
Photo 1: main line from pump enters right side of block, and sends through to 3 point.
Loader quick-couplers face outward.

Photo 2: current (original valve) configuration.

I am assuming BSPP are the hard to find British fittings... ?

Attachments

• IMG_2023-12-15-11-29-33-602.jpg
    IMG_2023-12-15-11-29-33-602.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2023-12-15-11-29-14-081.jpg
    IMG_2023-12-15-11-29-14-081.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
   / Third function-diverter- or something different? #16  
Photo 1: main line from pump enters right side of block, and sends through to 3 point.

Yep, good photos btw. Standard diverter setup and loader control valve. No surprises there. Nice old loader. Looks like the old ALO Canadian type.
I wonder if that unused plug in the control valve is an unused PB port? But even if so, I'll bet the special internal sleeve is long ago gone walkabout.
Try your new setup with that old diverter and see how it works. If it needs a different style there are lots of adjustable proportional diverters available.

BSPP are just one more variety in the too-large world of fluid tight fittings. Pretty good fitting, actually, and not too rare. I notice that my local Ace Hardware has several British to NPT adapters in stock. It is probalby a bit nicer installation to order a loader control already threaded for a more common hose end/quick coupler thread in the USA. Doesn't really matter if you use quick couplers.
rScotty

/ Third function-diverter- or something different? #17  
Wouldnt be my valve of choice.

I think you are gonna find a cheap loader valve....well....cheap. Not tight tolerance, loader and bucket leak down, etc. And I dont see any nor any mention of load checks. For me that would be a deal breaker. Imagine trying to "slowly" (feathering ability) lift a heavy log by "slowly" pulling on the joystick. Only to find that instead of raising the log....it actually DROPS several inches before lifting.

They also make 3-spool valves that only have two levers. Joystick for the main loader function....then a small lever for the grapple / 3rd function

/ Third function-diverter- or something different? #18  

I've got almost exactly the same 2 lever setup on my 1988 1720 with non-factory loader.
I bought one of these joysticks from Surplus Center with a power beyond coupler (has load checks, float, and SAE ports) for a very reasonable price but haven't installed it yet. I much prefer the joystick setup on my other tractor to the 2-lever configuration. The intention was to have grapple capability in the future with a cheap scv off the power beyond. Seems to be a more economical way to go versus buying a joystick with an integral 3rd function.

Beating the horse again, but I think... I found the correct spool valve.
As per earlier reply's, this one has float on the left stick, and I believe power beyond.

If I add the cost of two hoses, (or 4 + quick disconnects) maybe I can actually make this happen.

/ Third function-diverter- or something different? #20  
Sure, a number of ways to add 3RD function. This is how I added the feature to my Massey-Ferguson 1754 to operate the grapple. The Massey kit for this is probably similar, but I liked the idea of protecting the valve in an enclosure. I also made the rocker switch housing mounted on the joystick. This system (as does the Massey kit) utilizes the existing long lines and requires only a few very short hoses to complete the job. The main cost was the valve which is variously priced. Easy to operate.

Attachments

• grap schematic.jpg
    grap schematic.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 3RD FUNCTION SWITCH.jpg
    3RD FUNCTION SWITCH.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 3RD function valve 2.jpg
    3RD function valve 2.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 31
  • GRAPPLE 1.jpg
    GRAPPLE 1.jpg