The "thumb"

/ The "thumb" #51  
Doh! Yours came in while I was answering the last. Great post, thanks for the pointers. A few quick answers:

Yes, that's exactly what this is! I chose tubing size, tangs, and cylinder all based on what I had in my inventory. If buying I might have gone with 1-1/2 x 3 inch tubing, rather than 1-1/2" square. But I can always add a 1/4" x 1" or 2" spine atop the arm to add strength in the vertical direction, if needed. If I decide to cut a curve in some 6" x 3/8" flat stock, I could actually put a curved spine (tooth) on the bottom of the thumb.

Two options:

First, I could quickly and easily add another tube section mitered onto the end:

View attachment 777104
(click for full size)

Second option is more work without a plasma cutter, but I could cut a piece of 6 x 3/8" flat stock I have into a curve, and weld it onto the bottom of the arm. This might be prone to side-bending if it's just a single thickness with much extension from the arm:

View attachment 777105

I thought I'd be able to more slowly release it with the straight arm than the curved, to be honest. Have to think that thru, as one serious shortcoming is the fact that the 3rd function I have available to control this is off a "bang-bang" electric solenoid controlled by thumb switch on my joystick, it's not proportional.

Speaking of which I was planning to add needle valves or restrictor plates to the input ports on the cylinders to be able to adjust thumb speed, unless Deere offers some valve similar to the 3-point float-down valve, to do the same right on the tractor.

The most frequent use will be lifting logs off a pile and setting them on the ground for bucking, in which case I think I can control the descent by how steeply I angle the forks down. The other potential use would be lifting logs out of a trailer, but I'd need shorter forks to get into the trailer more easily, and I'd have to be careful not to catch the far wall of the trailer with the thumb. It's a closed-side trailer with a railing about 2 feet above the floor:

View attachment 777108

Thanks! Yes, spent my career as a design engineer, and I'm all too familiar with those caught in analysis paralysis. Get it close, then build it. You'll learn more from rev.A than you think, and quickly mod it or spin rev.B to be much better.
first option from above but reverse the angle so that as the thumb closes the small log will be pushed down a med log will engage the point formed by the corner of the segment and large logs will engage the straight section and work as before.

/ The "thumb"
Got it. Yeah, that would work nicely for small logs, but might make it more challenging to use for some other ops, like plucking medium or larger logs off the trailer floor. Everything is a trade-off!

/ The "thumb" #53  
Got it. Yeah, that would work nicely for small logs, but might make it more challenging to use for some other ops, like plucking medium or larger logs off the trailer floor. Everything is a trade-off!
nothing a diverter valve an extra cylinder and another pivot wouldn't fix lol

/ The "thumb"
nothing a diverter valve an extra cylinder and another pivot wouldn't fix lol
That's funny! Have you ever noticed how much fiddling you'll do with the controls on a tractor, just to avoid jumping off the seat and walking 8 feet to move a pin or cinch a chain? Sort of like when you were a kid vacuuming the rug for mom, and you'd vacuum over one little piece of debris 42 times, before just bending over and picking the damned thing up. :ROFLMAO:

/ The "thumb" #57  
Hey guys, do most of these thumb assemblies lift off of the frame, or are they welded on? They fall short of opening to 90 degrees, which is one of our goals, but if they easily lift off the frame for those occasions when you need to pick up a tall pallet, then that's no big deal.

I'm thinking that if they are indeed removable, it might make more sense to just sell what I have and buy one of those. I'd still want to weld 3-point lift tangs/pins onto it, so I'd be doing some fab either way (unless I find and buy one that's both 3-point and JDQA), but that might be less work than what I already have.
Mine isn't a thumb but as a grapple was integrated yet allows unbolting and removal 4 bolts

Attachments

• clean tractors 003.JPG
    clean tractors 003.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 191

/ The "thumb" #58  
I'm very happy with "The Thumb" on my forks (which are mountable on either the FEL in place of a bucket or picked up with the quick hitch (iMatch) on the 3ph.

Quick to remove with just three pins. No interference picking up pallets of firewood, and even add some stability if needed.

Attachments

• Thumb_open.JPG
    Thumb_open.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • Grapple_load.jpg
    Grapple_load.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
  • Thumb_brush.JPG
    Thumb_brush.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
   / The "thumb" #59  
It will not work for me as I need to be able to pick up load that is 6 ft high once the logs are processed.

Last edited:
   / The "thumb"
It will not work for me as I need to be able to pick up load that is 6 ft high once the logs are processed.
That's okay. I wasn't designing it for you! :D

Project got put on hold awhile, as expected. Other things came up. To be continued at a later date.