The last Barn. (maybe)

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #191  
Lynn, do you have any venting along the back wall where you are stacking the split wood? Why I ask, is on dad's three sided wood shed the wood would dry but there some mold on the back wall. Once we cut some vents in the lower edge of the wall, the wood dried better. This was wood that was harvested in the spring, cut , split and stacked n the shed to dry. Just wondering.

Nice setup you have there. Jon

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
Lynn, do you have any venting along the back wall where you are stacking the split wood? Why I ask, is on dad's three sided wood shed the wood would dry but there some mold on the back wall. Once we cut some vents in the lower edge of the wall, the wood dried better. This was wood that was harvested in the spring, cut , split and stacked n the shed to dry. Just wondering.

Nice setup you have there. Jon
Most of the wood is already dry so it shouldn't be a problem. I also have the big doors open a lot. Maybe less now that it's cold. I think with the shear size of the building (it not sealed tight) I should be OK.
Thanks for the thought though.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
We've been splitting/stacking, have a good dint in the pile.
IMG_1455.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #194  
How do you get the wood into the house? Since it's pine, I'm guessing that you have to burn quite a bit of it to keep your house warm

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #196  
First off your wood pile and stacked rounds are disgustingly neat. Second, the ramps under the wood splitter. I’m kind of liking that idea, it seems when I’m splitting I’m always bent over, but it does also mean you have to lift a little higher.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #198  
I also use a pair of plastic rhino ramps to lift my horizontal splitter up a bit. Screw bending over to reach the lever... ruins your back for no reason at all.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #199  
I also use a pair of plastic rhino ramps to lift my horizontal splitter up a bit. Screw bending over to reach the lever... ruins your back for no reason at all.
I think mine would be a little unstable, up on ramps. I use my splitter vertical. No lifting of the big pieces; just roll them into place...

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #200  
I think mine would be a little unstable, up on ramps. I use my splitter vertical. No lifting of the big pieces; just roll them into place...
And then bend over to pick up every single piece that splits off? No thanks.

With the splitter horizontal, it's rare that a split piece falls off onto the ground. You split a round and everything is still right there on the deck, to grab and throw into a bin. Yes it kinda sucks to load huge rounds up onto the beam, but my harvested firewood logs are generally in the 6-12" range anyway; no problem. Working in a 2-man team with agreeable species of wood (I like walnut and cherry - quick pops), you can turn a round into 4 ideal pieces of split wood in about 10 seconds on my horizontal setup. Easily make about 3-4 face cords per hour from pre-staged rounds, even with my dreadfully slow hydraulic cycle time.