The last Barn. (maybe)

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #201  
And then bend over to pick up every single piece that splits off? No thanks.

With the splitter horizontal, it's rare that a split piece falls off onto the ground. You split a round and everything is still right there on the deck, to grab and throw into a bin. Yes it kinda sucks to load huge rounds up onto the beam,
Agreed! So why not take the next step and eliminate having to pick them up off the ground???

Resized-20220815-113601-S.jpg

It eliminates another back breaking job!

SR

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #202  
Here is a completely different splitter:

Screenshot 2022-10-26 09.39.25.png

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #203  
Funny. I clicked on the video to see the fancy log splitter and then realized it was the Morgans, and all he does it talk and talk and talk, so I turned it off. If he just stopped talking, I might enjoy his videos. He gets some cool stuff that would be interesting. Just too much talking!!!

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #204  
Just too much talking!!!
Push the "M" key on the keyboard or turn the volume down.

Push the "L" key on the keyboard to jump ahead 10 seconds.

You are missing out on a lot of good videos.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #205  
I keep it on mute and I've tried fast forwarding through all the talking. I do that with a lot of videos. Most YouTube people like to hear themselves talk, but fail to understand that they are not saying anything relevant to the topic of the video. I'm sure there are a lot worse out there, but he's probably the most prolific of them in topics that I find interesting.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #206  
I keep it on mute and I've tried fast forwarding through all the talking. I do that with a lot of videos. Most YouTube people like to hear themselves talk, but fail to understand that they are not saying anything relevant to the topic of the video. I'm sure there are a lot worse out there, but he's probably the most prolific of them in topics that I find interesting.
He's a used car salesman.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #207  
Agreed! So why not take the next step and eliminate having to pick them up off the ground???

Resized-20220815-113601-S.jpg

It eliminates another back breaking job!

SR
Your pics are always blocked for me when I'm at work (photobucket?) but I presume that was a pic of using your big trailer to catch cut rounds and easily keep them up at splitter level.

Works for you on a big open farm, but I've got a small acre compound in the woods. I could easily hold my logs on my forks or with my grapple to cut them up above a catch of some kind, but it just seems way too slow to me to only have one log at a time up in the air. Instead I pile up my logs and just attack the pile with a chainsaw when I'm feeling like it. The cut rounds get tossed into IBC totes that I have cut the fronts out of - then when I am splitting, I fork the totes up onto a table next to my splitter. So I only pick the rounds up off the ground once, after the first cut. I do have some ideas for eliminating that step.... but not with a giant trailer, haha.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #209  
You don't need a "giant" trailer to cut over, I've cut over my snowmobile trailer many times and when you cut in a pile, you have to add all the picking up to the cut time, just to get where you would be if you were cutting over a trailer.

I cut over the same trailer I haul my equipment on too, and sometimes over my little self-unloading trailer that my wife and me was splitting out of, a few says ago,

output-image1666306618531-S.jpg

Folks will go through all kinds of things, spending money to build a "cut table" when they already own a table, also called a trailer.

I work alone a lot, so I have to figure things out, so I work smarter, not harder.

This is ONE time that size doesn't matter! lol

SR

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
So the way we worked it out, I split and drop pieces in a wheel barrow. My wife picks them up and stacks them. It works really good other than when the stack gets higher than she can reach, then I help. As you can see the splitter is next to the stack so it goes fast.
Here's our progress as of today, and what the weather looked like. We have 4 full rows done.

IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1461.JPG