The last Barn. (maybe)

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #1  

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
Pictures will be slow coming I'm still trying to resize everything. Here's a start though. I held off building in 2020 because of covid, that was a mistake! It cost much more in 2021 than it should have but I was tired of having all my stuff out in the weather.
The Barn is 70'X96'X13'.
DSCN0001.JPG
DSCN0003.JPG
DSCN0015.JPG
DSCN0019.JPG

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #2  
Looks like you are using the OSHA approved method of placing poles. 😃

I am impressed. That is a rather large building under the build-it-yourself category. I follow the price of OSB just as a general indicator of lumber prices and the price is about triple what it should be and was back in September October.
We have a building or two that needs to go in here, but I have neither the skill or the body to do that sort of thing so we will hire it done.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
Looks like you are using the OSHA approved method of placing poles. 😃

I am impressed. That is a rather large building under the build-it-yourself category. I follow the price of OSB just as a general indicator of lumber prices and the price is about triple what it should be and was back in September October.
We have a building or two that needs to go in here, but I have neither the skill or the body to do that sort of thing so we will hire it done.
No doubt pole placement is OSHA approved.;)
Putting these up are not all that hard but takes the right equipment for sure. My wife and I did most of the work; My sons helped set the post and I had help raising the trusses and putting metal on the roof. I also hired out the concrete work.
After starting the work my body hurt for days but I finally got used to work. LOL
It took us 2 months to get all the framing and metal on the building. Not bad for a guy and his bride. I'm 59 wife is a little younger. We had to wait for some of the metal and big doors but it was closed in and usable in 4-5 months.
I am retired so we worked every day but Sunday from sunup to sundown. (also lost about 20 pounds)

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #4  
No doubt pole placement is OSHA approved.;)
Putting these up are not all that hard but takes the right equipment for sure. My wife and I did most of the work; My sons helped set the post and I had help raising the trusses and putting metal on the roof. I also hired out the concrete work.
After starting the work my body hurt for days but I finally got used to work. LOL
It took us 2 months to get all the framing and metal on the building. Not bad for a guy and his bride. I'm 59 wife is a little younger. We had to wait for some of the metal and big doors but it was closed in and usable in 4-5 months.
I am retired so we worked every day but Sunday from sunup to sundown. (also lost about 20 pounds)
I'll be 71 in a few months. Between arthritis in the shoulders and some in the hips plus a fear of heights I will have to limit my work to ground level. I still have to re-fence and cross fence the property this summer, that will be work enough. When I did it on the previous property the pounds melted off, but they seem to have a way of finding me again during the winter. Hope to get started when the frost is out of the ground.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #5  
I'll be 71 in a few months. Between arthritis in the shoulders and some in the hips plus a fear of heights I will have to limit my work to ground level. I still have to re-fence and cross fence the property this summer, that will be work enough. When I did it on the previous property the pounds melted off, but they seem to have a way of finding me again during the winter. Hope to get started when the frost is out of the ground.
I am 46. Retired around ten years ago. No health issues. Still, I can't hack it like you can. And cat fever must be Superman married to Wonder Woman. The first thought crossing my mind on reading his first post was "wow, that is one big barn". Building it with his wife?

This is depressing...(thinking about myself).

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #6  
Pictures will be slow coming I'm still trying to resize everything. Here's a start though. I held off building in 2020 because of covid, that was a mistake! It cost much more in 2021 than it should have but I was tired of having all my stuff out in the weather.
The Barn is 70'X96'X13'.
View attachment 734526View attachment 734527View attachment 734528View attachment 734529
I was looking at your lumber and wondering if it was custom milled or from a lumber yard. I was curious because it didn't look like it's all cut to a set a length and doesn't appear to be S4S or have a bullnosed edge.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I was looking at your lumber and wondering if it was custom milled or from a lumber yard. I was curious because it didn't look like it's all cut to a set a length and doesn't appear to be S4S or have a bullnosed edge.
It is rough cut lumber right from the saw mill. Supposed to be true 2X6 not all were that big.:mad:
Post also, the saw mill pressure treats the post.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I am 46. Retired around ten years ago. No health issues. Still, I can't hack it like you can. And cat fever must be Superman married to Wonder Woman. The first thought crossing my mind on reading his first post was "wow, that is one big barn". Building it with his wife?

This is depressing...(thinking about myself).
Thanks, we take our time and try not to get hurt. I did cut my finger first day of squaring it up, 7 stitches. That was no fun because I couldn't wait for it to heal. The wood starts to twist and bend. So I got to put in post and build truss sections with my finger wrapped up and sticking out of my glove. (cut that finger off the glove)
I'm no superman, maybe Thor but my wife is Wonder Woman. :)
IMG_0891.jpeg

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #10  
It is rough cut lumber right from the saw mill. Supposed to be true 2X6 not all were that big.:mad:
Post also, the saw mill pressure treats the post.
Near Bellingham a friend added on to his house with s4s virtually clear fir that came from the mill we worked at. The building inspector failed the job because the lumber didn't have a grade stamp.