The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #21  
Quite a few likes and responses for spam-vertising. Check this guy has two posts basically the same. Smh

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #22  
I have same sex couplers on my small hydraulic lines on my machine. If it was a problem that surfaced that often, I'd change the connectors on the machine and my implements to one of each sex and connect the implement hoses together when not in use. The first one is free, as there are two males on the machine and two females on the snowplow. Just swap one of each. For anything else, I can get female quick connects for about $15-$25. That would resolve the issue permanently and I could do about 5-6 implements for the price of the tool.

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #23  
I could do about 5-6 implements for the price of the tool.
Check my post #2, Moss. I built mine using a spare fitting I already had in a drawer, but even if I had to buy a fitting, it'd have cost me less than $20 to build that tool. The BOM is pretty simple:

1. Spare female coupler (mine was 1/2" NPT back end)
2. Plug for back end of coupler (in my case, 1/2" NPT with hex key drive)
3. Eye bolt (in my case 3/8" UNC x 4")

I just drilled and thru-tapped the plug to 3/8", threaded it into the fitting, and then the eyebolt into the plug. Done.

IMG_9951.jpeg

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #24  
I've never heard about connecting the male/female lines together on detached implements as a soultion

Unless your connectors are the kind that connect and disconnect under pressure, the pressure build up as the implement warm will lock the two connectors together.

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #25  
I purchased a set of these. 😮

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #26  
Now I like the idea of having M-F on the implements in order to prevent debris from entering the connectors or system, but I can also envision the connectors either locking up due to the pressure build-up or violently separating and smacking the hell out of something (likely me!).

Also, in order to change out the connectors on the tractor I have to consider the arrangement. I have the 3rd function, continuous flow, and the return line so I'd probably need to make the 3rd function and continuous flow the same sex, and the return line the opposite. Maybe M, M & F?

I mentioned earlier I was going to start a post about this just to throw out that this was available in large part because so many variations on the theme are either expensive, unavailable or have long lead times. But this thread was already started and a new one didn't make sense. I bought this due to the convenience factor - delivered the next day.

This time I'll know better than to leave the tool in my tractors toolbox so service techs with sticky fingers don't liberate it.

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #27  
Cheaper at Harbor Freight...lol
I bet the Harbor Freight clamp doesn't have those adapters that you see on the end of that ratcheting clamp that he bought though, that's the difference, I have never had any difficulty with tractor hydraulic couplings but the flat faced couplings on my skid steer were aggravating until I got one of these clamps with the adapters for 1/2" and 3/4" couplers.

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #28  
Now I like the idea of having M-F on the implements in order to prevent debris from entering the connectors or system, but I can also envision the connectors either locking up due to the pressure build-up or violently separating and smacking the hell out of something (likely me!).

Also, in order to change out the connectors on the tractor I have to consider the arrangement. I have the 3rd function, continuous flow, and the return line so I'd probably need to make the 3rd function and continuous flow the same sex, and the return line the opposite. Maybe M, M & F?

I mentioned earlier I was going to start a post about this just to throw out that this was available in large part because so many variations on the theme are either expensive, unavailable or have long lead times. But this thread was already started and a new one didn't make sense. I bought this due to the convenience factor - delivered the next day.

This time I'll know better than to leave the tool in my tractors toolbox so service techs with sticky fingers don't liberate it.
I've never had the connectors lock up after they were hooked together in 21 years. Just to be clear, these are on hydraulic motors, not cylinders, if that makes a difference.

Also, I don't think they'd have enough force to smack apart and whack me in the head. The few times that my snow plow cylinder fittings did build up pressure from sitting in the sun, and I whacked them with a punch, only a couple drops came out. It was not great pressure or volume. Certainly not enough to even move the connector in my hand, let alone move the weight of the hose around.

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #29  
Not sure if that was directed at me, as you quoted my post and then asked if I read my own post. I've found that connecting the lines to each other helps reduce, but not entirely eliminate, this type of hydraulic lock-up. Moreover, some of my equipment has M/M for plugging into my factory rear 3rd channel (which is F/F on tractor), so I'd need to make up a F/F coupling for each one for storage.

This pressure relief tool is cheaper, easier, and more quickly at-hand than all of that. I keep it hanging from a nail on the door jamb of my shed, where I keep all of my equipment. If you don't ever need one, consider yourself lucky, but it's very handy for those of us who do.
My post was not directed at you. I quoted it to the previous poster, since it seems you have found that worked for you, same as me. I have not run into a situation where the implement's lines, connected together, allowed hydraulic pressure build-up that would prevent me from normal connector coupling.

I know that the fluid within the implement and lines would still expand, even when lines form a closed loop, but for me, it has never prevented me from snapping them on the tractor fittings. I think the expanding fluid may be moving the hydraulic cylinder piston enough to not be overwhelming when connecting.

/ The Hydraulic Fight is Over - Hydraulic Coupling Pressure Relief Tool #30  
I have same sex couplers on my small hydraulic lines on my machine. If it was a problem that surfaced that often, I'd change the connectors on the machine and my implements to one of each sex and connect the implement hoses together when not in use. The first one is free, as there are two males on the machine and two females on the snowplow. Just swap one of each. For anything else, I can get female quick connects for about $15-$25. That would resolve the issue permanently and I could do about 5-6 implements for the price of the tool.
This is exactly what I did after having the problem, when I first bought my grapple. Easy fix, and has never been a problem since.