Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,913  
The 700 people who died probably did not consider it a feature
Is the implication here that frozen gas valves would have operated correctly if the electrical grid were expanded.

Quite an extrapolation... butterfly effect and chaos theory I suppose.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,914  
My mother is 97. Born in Syracuse, lived in Philadelphia as a child and moved to Virginia in 1938. She remembers Autogyros flying around Philadelphia and shown here in 1948 Virginia with a Taylorcraft, canvas covered with Lycoming engine (68hp I believe).
She had a Cushman scooter and Crosley car, neither designed for our many hills!
Ironically my grandparents first rented a house a few doors down from my in-laws and my fireman father in law would help push her Cushman or Crosley uphill in front of the firestation years before either my wife or I was even born!View attachment 842791View attachment 842792
Back in the 70’s two teenage brothers had a TaylorCraft plane next door at their dad’s crop dusting strip. Little horsepower as you mentioned. They did not fly on hot days or take up a chubby passenger. 😄

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,915  
Is the implication here that frozen gas valves would have operated correctly if the electrical grid were expanded.

Quite an extrapolation... butterfly effect and chaos theory I suppose.
No, it is direct cause and effect.

Texas, or more correctly ERCOT, is not connected to the national grid. As a result, when they run short of power, there are blackouts. ERCOT also has very little in the way of regulation over grid operations, so natural gas plants did not have any requirement to function at a given temperature, e.g. below freezing. Those two together did most certainly lead to the deaths of hundreds of people. (I believe that the correct number is 246.)

Had the electrical grid been connected to a larger grid, Texas would have had enough power to keep the lights and heat on. Had there been regulations on the temperature performance of gas plants, more power would have been available for longer. Texas does now have those regulations as a direct result of those unfortunate people dying.

If you want to learn more;

Yours,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,916  
There's a 2nd market for antique whiskey, who knew?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,917  
Little horsepower as you mentioned. They did not fly on hot days or take up a chubby passenger. 😄
A good friend of mine is a retired engineer, who has gotten a little chubby in his old age. He recently had to get recertified on a new aircraft (Cessna 172, I think?), and had to change instructors, because their combined weight was over what the aircraft could handle.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,918  
Many of you have heard the term, "Cock and Bull story." Well, I've stayed in the "Cock", a 1000 year old inn which is just a block up the street from the "Bull", a pub in Stratford Upon Avon. If you've heard of the town, it's as the home of William Shakespeare, but the term Cock and Bull story I believe is older than that playwright.

It comes from the fact that both establishments had very popular pubs, and being just a block apart on the same road, it was said any story told in one pub at the beginning of the evening would be heard in the other by the end of the same night.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,919  
Those two together did most certainly lead to the deaths of hundreds of people. (I believe that the correct number is 246.)[/URL]
That is the “official” Texas report. Other sources from outside Texas state 700.

I sure no politics were involved in Texas’ reporting.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,920  
No, it is direct cause and effect.

Texas, or more correctly ERCOT, is not connected to the national grid. As a result, when they run short of power, there are blackouts. ERCOT also has very little in the way of regulation over grid operations, so natural gas plants did not have any requirement to function at a given temperature, e.g. below freezing. Those two together did most certainly lead to the deaths of hundreds of people. (I believe that the correct number is 246.)

Had the electrical grid been connected to a larger grid, Texas would have had enough power to keep the lights and heat on. Had there been regulations on the temperature performance of gas plants, more power would have been available for longer. Texas does now have those regulations as a direct result of those unfortunate people dying.

If you want to learn more;

Yours,

Peter
Alas
The national grid remains outside in the cold.