Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,931  
Had a rare honor to fly one out of Meigs Field. (Before King Richard destroyed the field.) Climbing in I asked the pilot "anyone else sitting up front?"

He said "co pilot seat is yours ".

Having a pilots license, he let me fly for 10 minutes while we were straight and level. A HUGE thrill.

I did that as well. But mine was in the old Flight Simulator game and I kept aiming for the John Hancock building. I could never hit it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,932  
Had a rare honor to fly one out of Meigs Field. (Before King Richard destroyed the field.) Climbing in I asked the pilot "anyone else sitting up front?"

He said "co pilot seat is yours ".

Having a pilots license, he let me fly for 10 minutes while we were straight and level. A HUGE thrill.
WOW!!! (y)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,933  
Regardless of which death numbers are correct I would bet some pretty good money that very few Texans had made any attempt to prepare for such a thing. I also would bet that few who suffered from the outage have done a single thing to prepare for the next one. I suspect most of the deaths were easily preventable with just a little effort ahead of time.
Not really surprising. I'd imagine a cold snap like that is not very common in a southern state like Texas, much like relatively few here in N.H. would be prepared for the kind of heat waves the southwest experiences. I don't have any form of air conditioning, and neither do many of my neighbors.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,934  
Not really surprising. I'd imagine a cold snap like that is not very common in a southern state like Texas, much like relatively few here in N.H. would be prepared for the kind of heat waves the southwest experiences. I don't have any form of air conditioning, and neither do many of my neighbors.
I have a window air conditioner which I bought when my dog was recovering from surgery and had to stay home. Now that he's gone I will probably donate it to the local yard sale.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,935  
I have a window air conditioner which I bought when my dog was recovering from surgery and had to stay home. Now that he's gone I will probably donate it to the local yard sale.
I keep an old window air conditioner around in my garage. On rare occasions if I have to work on something in the garage and it's over 100 degrees, I'll set it near me and it's a real comfort. Maybe once every few years of so.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,938  
No, we are living in places where the temperatures are bearable!!!!
Maine was seeing roughly 20 days per year over 90F in the 1940's and 1950's. In 2000, you had 12, although most of the last 20 years it's been just 3 - 7 days.

1704680700552.png

My threshold for buying air conditioning would be 1 day. :p

Before anyone starts a climate change debate, noting they had more "hot days" in the 1940's than today, be aware they also had way more "very cold nights" back then, too.

1704680689903.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,939  
Maine was seeing roughly 20 days per year over 90F in the 1940's and 1950's. In 2000, you had 12, although most of the last 20 years it's been just 3 - 7 days.

View attachment 842975

My threshold for buying air conditioning would be 1 day. :p

Before anyone starts a climate change debate, noting they had more "hot days" in the 1940's than today, be aware they also had way more "very cold nights" back then, too.

View attachment 842974
I live near a lake. It's pretty easy to get cooled down there. I also won't own a truck without AC...