Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,891  
I do know my ISP runs their own server, but otherwise you are absolutely correct. I have no illusion of privacy, just try to volunteer only when necessary. No cell service, no portable devices on me. I'm not trying to hide just hate the idea I'm tracked 24x7. Another reason I use cash as much as possible......of course that is fruitless because I do shop online most of the time.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,893  
A calendar from 1998 works the same as the day and dates do in 2024.
We had to trick a computerized scale system in 1999 by changing the system date to 19xx(?) due to approaching Y2K. I’m sure many did this.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,894  
We had to trick a computerized scale system in 1999 by changing the system date to 19xx(?) due to approaching Y2K. I’m sure many did this.
The computers at the hospital my grandmother worked at just rolled back to 1900

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,895  
A calendar from 1998 works the same as the day and dates do in 2024.
One of 14 calendars would work. Pick a designated one for the year.
00daecfb7b543f1ba2ccf94ceff3282b--genealogy-search-perpetual-calendar.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,896  
The computers at the hospital my grandmother worked at just rolled back to 1900
I was part of the Y2K task force for a large international manufacturer in the late 1990's, and it was a lot of work getting all computers, servers, test systems, and production machinery updated to surf across that 1/1/2000 boundary without major hiccups.

We succeeded, no major disasters. But what was frustrating was the way many people acted afterward like the whole concern was a hoax from the beginning. The reason banking systems never failed, and planes never fell out of the sky, was because of the preventative work that was done in the months leading up to Y2k, not in spite of it!

How does one ever quantify the disaster that was prevented or avoided?

Go back to 1936 and shoot H!tler. You won't be praised the guy who saved the world, you'll just be arrested as someone who murdered a man with a funny mustache.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,897  
I was part of the Y2K task force for a large international manufacturer in the late 1990's, and it was a lot of work getting all computers, servers, test systems, and production machinery updated to surf across that 1/1/2000 boundary without major hiccups.

We succeeded, no major disasters. But what was frustrating was the way many people acted afterward like the whole concern was a hoax from the beginning. The reason banking systems never failed, and planes never fell out of the sky, was because of the preventative work that was done in the months leading up to Y2k, not in spite of it!

Go back to 1936 and shoot H!tler. You won't be praised the guy who saved the world, you'll just be arrested as someone who murdered a man with a funny mustache.
I remember that time quite well, spend many many hours compliance testing systems in all sort of industries. We did find a few that required upgrade or modifications to pass.
Good times....

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,898  

Sounds perfect for a Twilight episode...

I spent that New Year on Duty at the Hospital just in case... no major problems... just some older equipment unable to display actual date...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,899  

Given all the doomsday scenarios that were floating about, I was pleasantly surprised how smoothly things went. I didn't really believe the electrical grid would fail or planes fall out of the sky, but given the complexity of this I did expect there to be a lot more "morning after" problems than there were. All caused by shortcuts taken in the 50s when computers had very little RAM and every byte had to count. Kudos to you and your brethren for a job well done.

Funny story, I was over at some friends' house that new years eve. We had the tv on watching the ball drop at midnight. 5-4-3-2-......tv went to snow. We were mostly techies there and we all applauded and cheered. Our host got a disgusted look on his face, pushed a button somewhere and a few seconds later the tv came back.
Turns out he was using a C-band satellite dish, back when there was all sorts of free content available. He had his dish on a timer to reposition down at midnight to dump any snow that might have been in it. Turns out his timer was dead-on accurate. :LOL:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,900  
In 1999 my prepper friend & neighbor was wigging out about Y2K and brought over Jack Van Impe tapes to watch. About 10 of us watched . He said "See? See? We're all gonna die!". I said you believe the Earth is 2000 years old and man has been here that long. I believe Earth is about 4.5 billion years old & man a few million. But let's go with your 2,000 . A generation is, what, 25 years? So we have a roulette wheel here with 80 numbers...give it a spin and where does it land? Us! We're the lucky ones to see the Earth explode!
He hasn't talked to me much after that. I wonder if he still has those VHS Impe tapes.