Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,331  
Most people seem to not know this, timber wolf is a gray wolf... there is only two type of wolf (other then hybrids) in north America gray wolf and eastern wolf.
The Eastern (AKA Red) wolf really is endangered... unlike it's larger cousin which has recovered nicely since we stopped trying to wipe them out.
There are a lot of people who would like to see grays back in Maine but I hope that doesn't happen until they are taken off the ES list. They hunt them right next door in Canada.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,332  
Probably the world's largest diesel engine. 14 cylinder, 2 stroke, 110,000 hp, 100 RPM. Used in container ships.

Edit: The Wartsilla-RT-flex96C's bore is 960mm, the stroke is 2500mm, giving each cylinder a displacement of 18,095 liters. So a 14 cylinder engine's displacement is a whopping 253,337 liters, or over 15 million cubic inches. That's a big'un.

Wartsille-Sulzer RTA96c 14 Cylinder #1.jpg
Wartsille-Sulzer RTA96c 14 Cylinder #2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #4,333  
I don't want to be in the belly of a container ship, but it would be cool to listen to that engine labor.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,334  
The Eastern (AKA Red) wolf really is endangered... unlike it's larger cousin which has recovered nicely since we stopped trying to wipe them out.
There are a lot of people who would like to see grays back in Maine but I hope that doesn't happen until they are taken off the ES list. They hunt them right next door in Canada.
Sorry but you got that one wrong... the eastern wolf and the red wolf are two distinct subspecies. To be honest I didn't mentioned the red wolf because I didn't think there was any left, but there is a small population of Red wolves left in the northeastern of North Carolina.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,336  
Sorry but you got that one wrong... the eastern wolf and the red wolf are two distinct subspecies. To be honest I didn't mentioned the red wolf because I didn't think there was any left, but there is a small population of Red wolves left in the northeastern of North Carolina.
I also got the eastern coyote confused with the eastern cougar... the latter is indeed considered extinct.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,338  
We have a different invasion in the Mojave this year. Again a moderately wet winter and now we have tens of thousands of grass hoppers. I can remember 5 to 10 years ago before the severe drought we had a similar episode. Where did the go during that time?