Oil & Fuel TC40DA: Oil change nightmare.

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare.
What wt oil did you use?
10W-30 New Holland Brand Umbra, mainly because I have a **** of a time
finding 10W-30 Service CI or CJ so I have given up and purchase the
NH Umbra, the local Farm and Fleet used to carry Rotella T semi in 10W-30
I used that in my Ford F-350 but that has since gone away. I am in the
Lubricant business as my full time job always have been, I am a chemist by
degree. I was a welder in the Navy. But the night I did it, it was likely cooler
than normal for me to be changing oil outside.

Wow! I am stunned. What were they thinking? There should have been all kinds of warnings on that filler. Stunningly stupid!:mad: Shame on you New Holland and Shibaura. The note in the Op Man'l is too little, too late. I read my manuals, but I would probably miss this because I've owned a TC45D and would certainly assume oil changing was the same as before. Even people who make cheap engines like B&S and ship them dry know that you have to put labels all over the engine in addition to putting a note in the Op Man'l. In my opinion, this warning should have been put on a big tag and hung on the steering wheel so you could not miss it. NH should have also told their dealers to notify the owner as part of the delivery checklist. I am shocked that this is the first we've heard of this in these forums. I wonder how many people have just barely "dodged the bullet.":rolleyes:

Yup, Big Tags Bigs Warnings all over the place, shoulda coulda woulda... didnt!

Last edited:
   / TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #12  
It definitely is a cost thing. The EPA mandates no venting of crankcases to the atmosphere. Shibaura, who also supplies engines to Cat/Perkins, had to put the breather integral with the intake. It should be on the hose from the filter, provided it's higher than the valve cover. Not being sure of the final install, it goes on the manifold. This has been an issue with the compacts, the larger NEF engines, Izuzu and Mitsubishi engines. As per NH, the oil dipstick needs to be removed, a funnel that is loose in the filler hole, and fill the oil slowly. It is great that NH will cover the parts. Push for a short block, the labor will be less than repairing the old block.

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #13  
I was unable to read the pdf, but this was caused by the new oil being on top of the piston? The scuff at the bottom of the cylinder looks to be acceptable, if there is no crack. I have seen a lot worse chips from cylinders on other engines. It was great that you were able to get replacement parts, and not have to replace the head...Jy.

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #14  
D'OH! I didn't mean to reiterate the info in the first post, stupid iPad didn't show the pdf's. Sorry

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #15  
Shade tree welder,

Wow, I can't believe this.:confused2: This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. So sorry for all the troubles you went thru on such a "non issue procedure":mad:,

Why the heck have they not designed a flapper spring loaded check valve to keep the two side separated? why have they not put an alternate oil fill position for the engine. They would have been better off if they went directly to the side of the bottom pan for oil fill, by adding a fill tube and funnel looking contraption and a cap on top. That is not excusable:mad:

it would take them less effort to do that than write up the procedure bulletin:mad:

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #16  
Wow! I am stunned. What were they thinking? There should have been all kinds of warnings on that filler. Stunningly stupid!:mad: Shame on you New Holland and Shibaura. The note in the Op Man'l is too little, too late. I read my manuals, but I would probably miss this because I've owned a TC45D and would certainly assume oil changing was the same as before. Even people who make cheap engines like B&S and ship them dry know that you have to put labels all over the engine in addition to putting a note in the Op Man'l. In my opinion, this warning should have been put on a big tag and hung on the steering wheel so you could not miss it. NH should have also told their dealers to notify the owner as part of the delivery checklist. I am shocked that this is the first we've heard of this in these forums. I wonder how many people have just barely "dodged the bullet.":rolleyes:

Jinman years ago when I purchased my first cut ( not blue) the dealer covered this with me in great detail. He advised me too never pour engine oil into a diesel engine using the oil fill location on the valve cover as damage such as described here could occur. The cut I purchased had two fill location one on the valve cover and one on the pump. If memory serves this was also discussed and shouted down on this Web Site some time ago in Oil And Lubricant.

It should be on the hose from the filter, provided it's higher than the valve cover. Push for a short block, the labor will be less than repairing the old block.
Actually the damage to the cylinder is minimal and well below the rings, so I am just going to
polish the edges and re-install the new piston and reassemble. I also had the injectors tested
by the dealer and they are in excellent condition.

why have they not put an alternate oil fill position for the engine.

I was unable to read the pdf, but this was caused by the new oil being on top of the piston? The scuff at the bottom of the cylinder looks to be acceptable, if there is no crack. I have seen a lot worse chips from cylinders on other engines. It was great that you were able to get replacement parts, and not have to replace the head...Jy.
I did consider welding removing the internal breather and welding up the hold,
and fabrication a nipple from the valve cover to the air filter housing, which is
mounted directly above the valve cover. But decided not to modify with
custom parts instead I have a new timing gear cover on order from a TC 2310
engine that has an oil fill location on it so this will never happen again.

Jinman years ago when I purchased my first cut ( not blue) the dealer covered this with me in great detail. ... If memory serves this was also discussed and shouted down on this Web Site some time ago in Oil And Lubricant.
I wish my dealer had known that but I was the first here to have the problem
to their knowledge. However, the lastest iteration of this tractor the TC 2310
does have a lower fill point on the timing gear cover, as mentioned that is
my long term solution. I have 2 young boys and soon they will be doing this
type of maintenance. I need to make sure this does not happen again.

I searched high and lo and could not find any other related threads, but
vbulletin is not that search friendly.

All the remaining parts were delivered today so tonight starts the
re-assembly. First I will machine a brass drift to remove the wrist
pin from the old piston, I have a new piston kit and rod kit.

I will take lots of pictures and post.

BTW, I own another BB that is built around metalworking: welding, fabrication
and machining. I started this discussion over there, prior to bringing it here.
There was some good discussion on diagnosing the problem prior to finding
it that might be a good read for some of you.

I have been lurkin on TBN for a long time just never had much to add until
now. Thanks for the welcome.

NH TC40DA Tractor Rant (Formerly the HF trip thread) - Shop Floor Talk

My beef is that with all the safety warnings plastered everywhere and this
being a known issue why was this not explicitly communicated. I purchased
the tractor new and I am still on the NH propaganda list as we get regular
mailings from them on new equipment. I should have received a letter warning
of this at the minimum.

In general, I have been very happy with the tractor, there are a few little
things that could be improved but all in all I like it. My wife loves its and has
likely put more hours on it than me.

Union Hill Sales and Service, Union Hill, IL is my dealer and has been
outstanding to deal with from day one. And if anyone lives in the Kankakee
Joliet, Pontiac area I suggest you stop in and visit them. (Dunno if I am
breaking any forum rules with the plug or not, if I am just delete the last comment.)

Last edited:
   / TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #20  
Sorry to hear of your oil change debacle, SHADE. It is good that you
posted so other NH owners are warned.

What is amazing to me is that your dealer's mechanics have not heard of
this issue, and not hydro-locked other NH tractors in for oil changes.
2 liters/minute is a VERY slow fill rate. I would expect more out-of-
warranty dead NH units would be for sale. (I have been looking for a
NH tractor project.)

I notice that the fill tube on top of the valve cover is quite tall. It seems
to me that this will increase the chance of filling too fast and getting oil
into the intake manifold. It is so crowded under the hood of newer
tractors, I see why makers put a long fill port in there. Others, including
mine, have a 2nd port on the front cover. Too bad Shibaura neglected
that upgrade before this happened.