T494 Arrived

/ T494 Arrived #1  

DennisFolsom

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4600, John Deere X380
My daughter's TYM T494 was delivered to her place on Friday, 5/31. I got a chance to check it out today. Adding some pics below. The first shows new owner Sarah giving last minute instructions to grandson Joey before his first test drive. 20190602_131833_800.jpg
The second shows the rear of the tractor as Joey starts out. 20190602_131919_800.jpg
I did the first mod on the tractor. I installed a pair of Ken's Bolt-on Hooks. 20190602_142930_800.jpg
Joey starts to learn the bucket loader by re-arranging the horse manure pile. 20190602_144356_800.jpg

This is a very nice, well equipped tractor. One difference I noted, compared to my old 2001 JD 4600 HST, is that a safety switch prevents you from starting it when the range selector is in gear. That's OK, but it means that you really should take it out of gear each time before shutting it down (then lock the brake). Otherwise, you can end up with a tractor that's stuck in gear and you can't start it until it's unstuck! With the tractor shut down in gear, I had to unlock the brake, get out of the cab, hold pressure on the shifter and rock the rear wheel, in order to free it. On my old JD, there is a safety switch on the HST pedals, but you can start it (and I always do) with the range selector in gear.

The T494 has a linkage between the HST pedals and the throttle. If you are not using the PTO, you can leave the throttle at idle and the throttle will pick up when you step on the go pedal. I'm not sure if this is an electronic, mechanical, or hydraulic coupling of HST and throttle, but it seems to work pretty well.

/ T494 Arrived #2  
Congrats! That's a nice looking machine right there.

I really like that hood side light feature. I can see it being very useful.

What engine did it came with? Kukje(Cummins)? Or the Yanmar? TYM is in the middle of change to incorporate Kukje engines.

/ T494 Arrived
It has the Kukje engine. It starts and runs fine. Kukje has been around for a long time. I tried out a Century with a Kukje engine many years ago. Kukje has built some engine models for Cummins, though I am not sure if the engines in these tractors have much to do with the Cummins designs. Regardless, the fact that Cummins chose Kukje as a contractor to build some of their engines speaks well for them.

/ T494 Arrived #4  
Nice looking setup :thumbsup: they will enjoy the cab come winter. :)

/ T494 Arrived #5  
Those rear wheels look like the are adjustable width like R1’s are. Must be a new design for TYM.

/ T494 Arrived
The rear wheels do look like they have some adjustment, but they are set at the widest configuration now. I wouldn't want to narrow them up any. I like the big tires. My JD4600HST has tires of about the same size.

/ T494 Arrived #7  
Awesome! I had the chance to see the new TYM line up at my dealer the other day. Very impressed with the changes they made. Stuff that is going to keep TYM in the front of the pack. Hopefully prices still stay lower than the Deere’s and Kubotas. I really like the new cab layout and updated display screen. That one piece hood with side lights is an awesome addition as well. Plus they have external 3 point control now! And a true third function valve set up from the factory with joystick. And Bluetooth. And auto throttle. I want to trade in my old 554 now lol

/ T494 Arrived
I liked those side lights on the hood, too. One negative was that we couldn't raise the hood without loosening the T bolts on the front guard. They were socked up tight and we really didn't need to get into the hood right then anyway, so we didn't bother. I'll check that out on another visit.

When my boxblade arrives, I plan to truck it to Sarah's place and do her long driveway with the new TYM. Sarah, Joey and I will likely take turns operating. Should be a fun family time!:dance1:

/ T494 Arrived
I did the box blade job at Sarah's place on Sunday with her T494 and my EA box blade. I posted a more complete write-up in my EA Box Blade thread under Attachments.
20190721_100415.jpg

/ T494 Arrived #10  
Awesome! I had the chance to see the new TYM line up at my dealer the other day. Very impressed with the changes they made. Stuff that is going to keep TYM in the front of the pack. Hopefully prices still stay lower than the Deere’s and Kubotas. I really like the new cab layout and updated display screen. That one piece hood with side lights is an awesome addition as well. Plus they have external 3 point control now! And a true third function valve set up from the factory with joystick. And Bluetooth. And auto throttle. I want to trade in my old 554 now lol penalty kick online
Plenty of products available at prices that are lower than those of Deere and Kubota.