Stupid Thermostat

/ Stupid Thermostat #1  

Roadworthy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST,
Background: Last spring I had a new Goodman heat pump installed. It works well, thanks. The installer installed a Google Nest Learning Thermostat saying that's what it takes to control the energy saving features of my new heat pump. The thermostat has options to turn off the learning feature, which I did. It proceeds to adjust the temperature a degree or two on its own. Upon surfing the net I find this is a common issue with this thermostat - they know what is good for you better than you do. I checked with Goodman and they say several thermostats work properly with their system but won't make any recommendations. I'm doing some surfing looking at different thermostats. Wi-fi is not required, not necessarily even desirable. Suggestions would be appreciated to help narrow the search. This system does not have the variable speed frequency drive motors in the compressor or the air handler. It has two speed motors at most. Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Stupid Thermostat #2  
Will the manufacturer tell you what thermostats are compatible with your unit even if they can't "recommend" any specific ones? I gather it requires some sort of specialty one?

/ Stupid Thermostat #3  
My Goodman hybrid system was installed with a Honeywell wifi communicating thermostat. Needs the wifi to receive the outside temp sensor on heat pump to determine when to turn off pump and turn on two stage propane furnace below 30 degrees it's programmed to. I'm sure your system is similar, with and outside temp sensor and ECM variable speed blower motor.

/ Stupid Thermostat
The system does indeed have an outside temperature sensor. I do not have any variable speed motors, I think they're fixed two speed motors on the model I chose - it's simpler. I do have electric backup heat strips. The wi-fi may indeed be required, I hadn't thought of that. I can't believe the "learning"feature is required. I checked with Goodman and they do not like dealing with end users to tell what works with their systems, they want you to go through a licensed contractor. I've worked some HVAC and been a licensed electrician but never had an HVAC business. Thanks for the input.

/ Stupid Thermostat #5  
I know on our Goodman system if our CenturyLink goes down system defaults to "emergency heat" because it can't read outside ambient air temp to determine if heat pump can run.

/ Stupid Thermostat
It appears I spoke too soon. There are problems known to the Nest thermostat which I'm experiencing. Although Goodman won't tell me what 'stats work with their system they have both of them listed on their website. Nest is one of only two known to use the same communication protocol as Goodman. The other happens to be a Goodman GTST thermostat. Of course you can only get the GTST from a Goodman installer. Still, it is not a "learning" thermostat and it will work with or without wi-fi. Wi-fi is only needed go get system updates. Temperature readings can be obtained from the outdoor unit itself with the installation of an optional temperature sensor. Local codes here seem to require such a sensor as part of the permitting process. Thanks for the input, guys, but I may have found the solution myself.