Stump Grinder options?

/ Stump Grinder options? #1  

BoneDigger

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 New Holland Workmast 35
I just had some land thinned. I have about 350 stumps I want to grind down, but I'm in no huge hurry. If I wanted to buy a grinder for let's say under $5,000, what would you recommend. Hiring a grinder is too expensive. I could rent one but would prefer to have one available as needed. These are mostly pines (95 percent) and between 12 and 24 inches, with a few larger ones. I saw where there are pto attached options but it seems a hassle using the tractor. I would think walk behind would be better?

Thoughts?

/ Stump Grinder options? #2  
I just had some land thinned. I have about 350 stumps I want to grind down, but I'm in no huge hurry. If I wanted to buy a grinder for let's say under $5,000, what would you recommend. Hiring a grinder is too expensive. I could rent one but would prefer to have one available as needed. These are mostly pines (95 percent) and between 12 and 24 inches, with a few larger ones. I saw where there are pto attached options but it seems a hassle using the tractor. I would think walk behind would be better?

Thoughts?

Went thru the SAME exact issue you had, but with 3,000 stumps. We negotiated with a logger who owned a stump grinding machine that looked like a rhino on 4 wheels. It was quick. Cost was nearly $1 per stump. $3,500 to do them all. He said because the stump were all in lined rows, grinding would be quick and simple.

Stump Grinding Drums are very fast.

Here's a Tractor 3PT 24-inch stump grinder drum.
1649901282197.png

Machines that do this by swing side-to-side take FOREVER.

1649900834553.png