String Trimmers

/ String Trimmers #61  
I have the Husqvarna 520ilx it is very light the wife can use it no problem. Had a petrol Honda one but got too difficult to start. I have also gone to the Husqvarna Battery Chainsaws makes life so much easier. We are on 5 acres in Australia.

/ String Trimmers #62  
I have the Ryobi 40volt brush and brushless trimmers. Have 4 - 40v batteries, 2 are 2amp and 2 are 4amp. Had the brush one for 7 years-no problems but the weed Wacker is too much of a pain to reload and could not find a suitable mod for it.

The quick attach setup is a dream-can use all my troy built gas attachments on the Ryobi.

/ String Trimmers #63  
I have about 2,000 feet of edging to do against foundations and fences plus a little more around trees and bushes. I use an E-Go with the carbon shaft trimmer. I use the 2.5AH battery because it came with the trimmer and I don't quite make it all the way around with one battery. I bought a 2nd 2.5AH battery (because of balance) and use about 1/2 of the second battery. It seems to have plenty of power because I use it on brush from time to time.

/ String Trimmers #64  
I have a 3 year old Husqvarna 128 string trimmer that doesn't run anymore, but really doesn't have that many hours on. I replaced the primer bulb and carb a year ago, used it a few times and won't run more the minute or two now. Thinking about going with a cordless trimmer, like Kobalt 40v or Atlas 40V, or having the Husqvarna serviced. The Husq would obviously be more powerful, but the battery ones are real convenient, and kids/wife can easily start and use. Ive got two acres, about 0.75 of Yard yard, about 0.75 rough yard, some fence line, around the house ect. Anyone have thoughts on durability of the cordless or cost of deal service of Husq? My current cordless tools are Rigid, but they don't offer a weedeater. Ryobi 40V
Kobold 40V
Atlas 40V
Husqvarna 128 dealer service
other thoughts?
I have a grass cutting gig that keeps me busy 5-6 days a week. I use the Kobalt 80v weedeater, edger and blower. They work very well, as well as the Stihl equipment I also have. The 2.5AH batteries on the weedeater and blower will last 2 jobs usually, sometimes 3. I do ditches and ponds in addition to the usual around the house and stuff. I always have a spare, can't afford to be caught short. I highly recommend them.

/ String Trimmers #65  
I bought a EGO 56V a couple years ago and love it. The main reason I love it is the super easy way you change the string. Mine is manual reload but they make a power reload also. To reload you cut about a 10 foot piece of string - push it in one side of the spool and out the other side. Even it for both sides then wind it up manually or power. Easy peasy. The battery gets recharged after 3 times using on my .75 acre yard

/ String Trimmers #66  
I recently switched from a small Stihl gas trimmer that gave me almost two decades of service to an EGO battery powered trimmer. It's different, not doubt, but overall I like the EGO. Quieter, yes. Much less vibration - I really like this bit. Carbon Fiber shaft. Power wind for the trimmer line is pretty sweet. Carbon fiber shaft. Decent balance with the 5.0amp battery. I'm generally satisfied with the power of the trimmer. It handles everything my Stihl did and often a bit more.

Pulling a rope to start isn't hard on a properly working gas trimmer, but just pulling the trigger is even easier. No gas or oil to buy/mix/store. No spark plug to change. No tune ups. These are not major challenges with a gas trimmer, but put all the little pluses together, and I've found my battery trimmer to be pretty nice.

EGO's batteries come in the same volts but different amp hours, so mileage will vary accordingly. Beyond that, battery life depends on how I'm cutting. Full blast, non-stop in extra tall/woody stemmed weeds/gras and I can be out of juice in 20-35 minutes. Short bursts at half power in regular height grass and it can last close to an hour.

If you need more than one full charge, the options with my EGO are to take an extended break - about an hour (standard re-charger), to buy the quick recharger which is supposed to cut recharge time down to about 20 minutes, and/or buy a second battery so you can keep swapping and recharging. So far I've done made do with the regular charger, but I'm looking at another EGO tool. If I buy it I either spring for the quick charger, the second battery, or both.

/ String Trimmers #67  
I recently switched from a small Stihl gas trimmer that gave me almost two decades of service to an EGO battery powered trimmer. It's different, not doubt, but overall I like the EGO. Quieter, yes. Much less vibration - I really like this bit. Carbon Fiber shaft. Power wind for the trimmer line is pretty sweet. Carbon fiber shaft. Decent balance with the 5.0amp battery. I'm generally satisfied with the power of the trimmer. It handles everything my Stihl did and often a bit more.

Pulling a rope to start isn't hard on a properly working gas trimmer, but just pulling the trigger is even easier. No gas or oil to buy/mix/store. No spark plug to change. No tune ups. These are not major challenges with a gas trimmer, but put all the little pluses together, and I've found my battery trimmer to be pretty nice.

EGO's batteries come in the same volts but different amp hours, so mileage will vary accordingly. Beyond that, battery life depends on how I'm cutting. Full blast, non-stop in extra tall/woody stemmed weeds/gras and I can be out of juice in 20-35 minutes. Short bursts at half power in regular height grass and it can last close to an hour.

If you need more than one full charge, the options with my EGO are to take an extended break - about an hour (standard re-charger), to buy the quick recharger which is supposed to cut recharge time down to about 20 minutes, and/or buy a second battery so you can keep swapping and recharging. So far I've done made do with the regular charger, but I'm looking at another EGO tool. If I buy it I either spring for the quick charger, the second battery, or both.
Some of us work in the feild for days and there is no power supply out there. I own a Hondu generator but have no need, or urge to bring it along. We are sticking with gas powered.

/ String Trimmers #68  
I have a kobalt 24v.
It works well.
Uses the same batteries as my other tools.
I trim around 2 houses and 2 garages and 2 sheds. And several trees and couple posts. Uses about 1/2 with a 4ah battery in it.

Is just get whatever will use the batteries you already have.

/ String Trimmers #69  
I have a 3 year old Husqvarna 128 string trimmer that doesn't run anymore, but really doesn't have that many hours on. I replaced the primer bulb and carb a year ago, used it a few times and won't run more the minute or two now. Thinking about going with a cordless trimmer, like Kobalt 40v or Atlas 40V, or having the Husqvarna serviced. The Husq would obviously be more powerful, but the battery ones are real convenient, and kids/wife can easily start and use. Ive got two acres, about 0.75 of Yard yard, about 0.75 rough yard, some fence line, around the house ect. Anyone have thoughts on durability of the cordless or cost of deal service of Husq? My current cordless tools are Rigid, but they don't offer a weedeater. Ryobi 40V
Kobold 40V
Atlas 40V
Husqvarna 128 dealer service
other thoughts?
We've a 40v Ryobi carbon fiber one. As strong as a gasoline engined one. Can be had with a 4aH battery. I've both 2 and 4 aH batteries.

/ String Trimmers #70  
Back to part of the OP's original question, i.e. How much does a dealer charge for tune-up? In my area, the cost was $67.00. That included a total replacement of the carb, fuel lines, spark plug and tweaking the air/fuel mixture. It did not include replacing the coil.

I see that 99% of the recommendations were regarding 'which' battery powered trimmer to buy. With as much trimming as you have to do, I'd certainly hesitate. My luck with all battery powered tools, and I have a bunch of them, is that you can expect less power and a shorter run time per battery than you might expect.

Rather than go to a dealer for a "tune-up", I think I'd make the simple new parts swap myself for about $21 and 30 minutes of your time. But then, that's just me...