Storm Prep

/ Storm Prep
What part of VT are you from? I'm in the NEK, made sure Generator was full of gas, back up can, snowblower ready, tractor as well.
Maybe got 6" overnight and another 2 during the day. Our outlook is cold. We are normally colder than 2 miles away, must be elevation. Week looks like 20's to low 30's during the day and low teens at night. But with Sundays warm weather and rain, driveway isn't frozen yet, so I was shooting Staymat out of snowblower...
Addison County. And, as with any NWS forecast, there is only a 50-50 chance of it happening. Forecast of 8-12" petered out at 3.5". There was absolutely none of the forecast high winds or gusting winds. Not that I am complaining, but really? In my next life I am coming back as a NWS forecaster. Where else can you maybe be right 50% of the time and still get paid a full salary. And....after all was said and done, I unhooked the genset from the house, moved it back to the garage, mounted the snowblower and put all things away. Power company outage page showed only minor outages, less than 1000 state wide. Wouldn't you know it. About 2 hours later, sun shining a bit, power flickered and went off and on about 3 times and then was back on. All is well now. Welcome to VT life!

/ Storm Prep #23  
Being prepared is smart.

Our power was out for 12 hours on the weekend. The whole house generator kicked in and life was good.

For almost 20 years, I used a portable generator. It will do the job with a bit more work but decided to make the investment in a Generac and no regrets.

I do nothing special if there is a “storm warning”. We are always prepared. If more than 10” of snow is predicted, we will get both vehicles filled in case the gas station is down during an outage. Closest gas station is 10 mile…25 miles to town.

/ Storm Prep #24  
I'm out here - just me and my Cocker Spaniel, Brownie. The beauty is - I'm retired. Don't have to be anywhere at any time. Four days ago it snowed five inches. Today there are patches of snow - here and there. Mother Nature did her job again.

We just hunker down and wait things out.

/ Storm Prep #25  
Addison County. And, as with any NWS forecast, there is only a 50-50 chance of it happening. Forecast of 8-12" petered out at 3.5". There was absolutely none of the forecast high winds or gusting winds...
Same here. I suspect we are not all that far from each other. I'm in Northern Addison County (Monkton). I didn't even bother to plow - just letting it melt off. (The gravel driveway is not frozen up yet, so why risk plowing the gravel into the ditches?)

/ Storm Prep #26  
Much the same here looks like it is going, and with a forecast 40F today and maybe a bit more rain next Monday should be good.
Looking outside and stepping out to dump the ash pan it looks like most of our snow is melting away. I haven't been down the driveway yet will have to go out today, and was out Sunday morning. But got my snow tires on Sunday on the pickup and my wifes little SUV.

/ Storm Prep #28  
Regarding the whole house generators, my Generac has a 15a fuse in the control panel.

That fuse blew one time during a power outage, so the generator wouldn’t start. This was around midnight.

Didn’t have a spare, but luckily found the same fuse in some electrical device around the house and used that.

I now keep spare fuses taped to the inside of the generator cover.

May want to see if your generator has any such fuse, and keep spares on hand.

/ Storm Prep #29  
Regarding the whole house generators, my Generac has a 15a fuse in the control panel.

That fuse blew one time during a power outage, so the generator wouldn’t start. This was around midnight.

Didn’t have a spare, but luckily found the same fuse in some electrical device around the house and used that.

I now keep spare fuses taped to the inside of the generator cover.

May want to see if your generator has any such fuse, and keep spares on hand.
Aaaah... YES.... Have special screw in fuses (old school) for the well, have a spare pair in ZIP lock bag hanging from a nail next to fuse panel..... Rest of house and out buildings are circuit breakers....