Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Getting ready to buy a trimmer. Any thoughts on these two engine designs?

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #2  
When I bought my house 12 years ago I bought a Stihl trimmer, two chainsaws and a blower, The good news is they are all working fine 12 years later. I use only Stihl Motomix for my fuel.. Anything as far as these tools go, I will will stick with Stihl. Don't know anything Echo.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #3  
I have the stihl 4 mix on my polesaw and backpack leaf blower. My string trimmer is an Echo 2 stroke. All 3 machines have been highly reliable. All are fed diet of Stihl ultra 2 stroke oil in 89 octane gasoline. If I needed a new trimmer, I'd just buy another Echo thinking it'd be a few bucks cheaper than a Stihl. (All my chain saws are Stihl, too.)

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #4  
Bought a Stihl 4Mix trimmer about 8 years ago. Would have to walk to the garage for model #..... it was the lowest cost model at the time that would fit a Stihl brush blade. Light use around home, occasional use on a remote property for heavy grass/weed clearing.

I've been happy with it. Doing it again, I'd spend a bit more for one or 2 models up in Stihl, that at the time had a bit better vibration isolation. For light use (less than 30 minutes), it's not really noticeable, and when I do longer runs I try and make sure I have decent cushioning in the gloves I wear. Engine has good torque.

Not sure where you are OP.... used to be around here Stihl would extend the factory warranty no charge if you bought a 6 pack of Stihl mix oil with the trimmer. Good oil, and a bonus extension to warranty.

Only negative I've heard with Stihl is with bigger recent motors - a bricklayer I know had problems with a concrete saw - I think it was the muffler mount design changed, and didn't stand up as well to vibration - can't see this being an issue on trimmers.

Like poster #2, I've no experience with Echo.

Rgds, D.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #5  
I've never used a 4 stroke Stihl but I've used 4 stroke Troybuilt and Honda. I didn't like either one. As far as Echo vs Stihl I'd be inclined to go Echo as they're usually more bang for your buck. And why limit yourself to these brands? I own Shindaiwa, Red Max, Echo, and Husqvarna equipment and I've used my fair share of Stihl. All I'll say is you die hard Stihl guys are wearing blinders.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #6  
Purchased a Stihl FS130 4 mix trimmer 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. Running a dual line head with .105 line it goes through large weeds and tall grass with ease. If I put a brush cutter blade on it will handle saplings in the 2" to 3" size. Just incredible amount of power this trimmer has.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #7  
Purchased a Stihl FS130 4 mix trimmer 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. Running a dual line head with .105 line it goes through large weeds and tall grass with ease. If I put a brush cutter blade on it will handle saplings in the 2" to 3" size. Just incredible amount of power this trimmer has.
It's amazing what you can cut when you ditch the more common 4 sided blades and get something with some teeth on it. Btw you're cutting those saplings with mostly momentum instead of engine power.

image-2215577709.jpg

image-2075239585.jpg

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #8  
I'd get the Echo -- they make a great trimmer.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #9  
It's amazing what you can cut when you ditch the more common 4 sided blades and get something with some teeth on it. Btw you're cutting those saplings with mostly momentum instead of engine power.

View attachment 497479

View attachment 497480

Never used either of those blades. Never even considered the 4 sided one. Just didn't seem like it would work to me. I use string or a tooth blade.

Always wondered if those chain saw blades were any good.

TBS

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #10  
Never used either of those blades. Never even considered the 4 sided one. Just didn't seem like it would work to me. I use string or a tooth blade.

Always wondered if those chain saw blades were any good.

TBS

I have one although a different brand. It worked great but didn't stay sharp very long. The dull blade still cuts briars and 1/2" brush pretty well, but it doesn't do to good on big stuff anymore.