Stick or MIG

/ Stick or MIG #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
Never welded in my life. I was going to buy a MIG/Flux welder but guy at work whose welded quite a bit convinced me to get a stick welder.

Probably going with Commander Stick Industrial Welder 225A AC / 15A DC, 23 Volt Input

All my welding will be outside and I don't want to have worry about filling gas bottles or having to buy one. Flux welding doesn't sound like the welds would be as good.

Cheapest way of welding sounds like stick.

I'm ready to have my mind changed. :laughing:

/ Stick or MIG #2  
If u go stick grab a Lincoln buzz box- Craigslist has them near continuously. This is your best budget option for stick.

With AC only (no DC) you are limited with rod selection.

The mig nicer when you get down to sheet metal.

/ Stick or MIG
The welder I linked to is 30A-150A DC

/ Stick or MIG #4  
I'm no professional and when i found myself in your situation,I did a lot of research and settled on a used name brand(Lincoln) AC stick for $100 on Craigslist. Bought 5 Lbs each 6011,7018, 7014 and 200 Lbs scrap steel and started making things. After a few months,I got a good deal on a used Miller ac/dc and sold the Lincoln for $100. I've since added a used 180 amp Lincoln mig/flux. I found both 7014 and flux easy to run and equally strong. I presently have feelers out for a used Hobart Ironman or equal. If I don't find used,I will buy new because I plan keeping it. When I find this machine,I'm confident I can sell my present machines for what I paid for them. I've cut,bent,beat and hammered both type welds and don't find one stronger than the other. Stick can weld thicker on single pass but multipass with flux is just as strong. Point of all this is that I was able to try various processes and consumiables without taking hits on depreciation on multiple new machines.

/ Stick or MIG
What does that mean? I'm now confused.

/ Stick or MIG #7  
What does that mean? I'm now confused.

Stick welding can be done using 3 different type current,AC,DC negative and DC positive. Each has advantage in specific situations but either can be used exclusively by compermising quality of weld. The ever famous Lincoln "buzz box" is AC only but more amatures own it than all others combined. That was what I was weaving myself through in post 4.

/ Stick or MIG #8  
One nice thing about getting a little bit nicer welder ( If you are sold on stick ) Is you can get a unit with Hot Start and Arc Force to make your world a little better. Hot Start for easy starting and re-strike & Arc Force so your rods Never stick to your work. It would pay for you to look into. No matter what you get, You'll soon be welding and fixing your own stuff. Join the crowd and good luck !!

/ Stick or MIG #9  
Never sell the stick. When push comes to shove, the stick will shine.

/ Stick or MIG #10  
Gave up 180 Amp Lincoln Tombstone years ago, went to MIG, would not ever go back to stick.... Nothing wrong with Fluxcore other than slag and you are going too have that with stick.... IF you use solid wire and shield gas (GMAW) you will absolutely fall in love with MIG process...

Don't know who has been informing you that fluxcore (FCAW) welding is not good, but Ill bet they have little experience with it....

With any welding process, setup and preping area for weld and knowing properties of materials and "filler" materials is everything... You don't just wave stick or wire around "joint" and have good welds....

Check out the processes here and listen to what Jody has to say....

Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

Dale