Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts?

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #31  
View attachment 659030

I do not know how else to post a picture in TBN. The icon says "insert an image" and I do that and upload the image. It shows on my end when I click on the attachment.
I think TBN [HEY STAFF, YOU LISTENING???] needs to investigate what this VERY common problem is.

Sometimes it shows up as a tiny picture and sometimes it shows up as Text in brackets. Inconsistent even when done exactly the same way.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #33  
Get an 8ft. board (1x2, 2x4), a tape measure, and a small level.

Level the board on your slope. Measure the distance between the board and the ground at the high end. The height in inches will be so close to the % grade the difference won't matter. (If you want exact, make a 100 inch board) For more convenience, make a 50 inch board, then double the high end measurement.

slope-measure.jpg

If you want degrees, save this conversion table.

Grade-to-angle.jpg

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #34  
In my case I am trying to determine grade over a distance of say 50ft or more. Often the area of the two points are not easily walkable. Lots of blackberries and other overgrown bush. To be able to 'sight' the distance I need to work 'above' the bushes.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts?
Thanks Al!

This device is nice because its a quick way to get an average slope. The slope I was referencing changes slightly from one end to the other, so having a quick way to calculate it is better than a super accurate way that takes time.

BTW - I tried the dawn trick once. I'll try again. This Saturday, I will approach the neighbor property differently. First I will shower with Tecnu, then apply Ivy block. Maybe the sunblock made the clippings stick to me. Going to wear long sleeves. Then Dawn instead of Tecnu when I get home. Dry scrub with dawn first, then shower.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #37  
If I could get $.05/pound for poison ivy I’d be a multimillionaire. We had some ancient white oak trees 6’ diameter that had poison ivy vines thick enough to cut a 2x4 from.
My botany emeritus professor would eat a leaf after showing it to a new class or spring flower walks in the Smokey mountains national park. Explaining it is a allergen not poison. He was Scottish. My grandmother said that’s how us Cherokee did to it to build up resistance. Probably made for some poor feelings with the whites back in the day.

Be sure to wash all clothing, gloves, shoes, hats, and wipe down areas you touch. You may have ivy mulch on your mowing deck. Sure you are getting paid enough? I don’t get it but have to be careful not to contaminate my wife.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #38  
Thanks Al!

This device is nice because its a quick way to get an average slope. The slope I was referencing changes slightly from one end to the other, so having a quick way to calculate it is better than a super accurate way that takes time.

BTW - I tried the dawn trick once. I'll try again. This Saturday, I will approach the neighbor property differently. First I will shower with Tecnu, then apply Ivy block. Maybe the sunblock made the clippings stick to me. Going to wear long sleeves. Then Dawn instead of Tecnu when I get home. Dry scrub with dawn first, then shower.

Say Crashz -- Are you staying on the tractor and not walking around in the foliage and you still get the poison ivy?? Of course it will be all over your mower and don't handle those things BUT if you are getting ivy bumps and itches just riding the tractor over the stuff (with 2 or 3 feet between you and the plants) you may be extremely allergic to it. That can be dangerous. I've seen people so allergic that their eyes swelled shut and they had breathing troubles just from getting close to the stuff. You probably ought to ask your family Doc if that is the case. They may have you take preventative pills to keep you from getting it so bad or minimize the sensitivity.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #39  
In my case I am trying to determine grade over a distance of say 50ft or more. Often the area of the two points are not easily walkable. Lots of blackberries and other overgrown bush. To be able to 'sight' the distance I need to work 'above' the bushes.

Sure, you'll just have to hold the straight edge up a little above the brush and eyeball it to get it as parallel with the slope as you can. Maybe take 2 or 3 readings and do a mental average. I think that is easier to do with something around a yard long than a small board. I bought my parts this morning and will post some picts once I am happy with the gadget.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #40  
Sure, you'll just have to hold the straight edge up a little above the brush and eyeball it to get it as parallel with the slope as you can. Maybe take 2 or 3 readings and do a mental average. I think that is easier to do with something around a yard long than a small board. I bought my parts this morning and will post some picts once I am happy with the gadget.
Looking forward to seeing your contraption.