Starlink

/ Starlink #4,081  
Yep, we got rid of Dish before getting Starlink. It works well. I think my wife has had pretty much every streaming service at some point with the free promos and I've not had any ISP issues with them.

Before Starlink, I had mobile internet that used T Mobile and some of the live services wouldn't allow it due to blackout rules. But I've not had that issue with Starlink.
That is what we want to do, ditch DISH. It's turned into a large monthly expense.
Which Roku device should I use?

/ Starlink #4,082  
A month or so ago I installed a TP-Link X5300 Deco mesh router system and was pleased how easy it was to get the satellites working. But I wasn't at all impressed with the speed, as going through even a single wall or ceiling cut speed in half. So I'm back to running Ethernet to the satellite locations. One of those satellites supports a network file server, so I do really need the speed.
Mine is the AX73. I've not tested the speed everywhere, but it works well throughout the house and in the metal shop about 100' away. This is just devices and Rokus though. I don't have any servers. Why not just connect the NFS right to the router?

/ Starlink #4,083  
That is what we want to do, ditch DISH. It's turned into a large monthly expense.
Which Roku device should I use?
I would say whichever form factor you prefer. I use the streaming stick. I do have mine setup so shutting off the TV cuts power to the Roku itself.

/ Starlink #4,085  
I use a Roku TV (TCL Brand) with Starlink- huge streaming performance improvement over using same TV with Hughesnet.

/ Starlink #4,086  
Is anybody using Roku TV with Starlink?
I am, use it all the time no problems. Once in a great while there might be slight buffering

/ Starlink #4,088  
I just ordered Starlink today. I used to have a LOS radio internet that transmitted from my attic, to a repeater on a neighbors barn, that just became super slow as they added subscribers and it wasn't reliable. So, I changed to an AT&T brick, which is also slow and requires frequent reboot's. With my wife looking for a "work remote" job, I need to at least be able to attend and host a microsoft teams meeting. I could barely even stream with the old set-ups.

So, help bring a network challenged newbie up to speed with what else I need.

I ordered the basic service with a pivot mount. I want to wirelessly cover my home and patio. I assume this Starlink thing then gets hooked up to a wireless router to cover the house. What's the best router to get? The one I have laying around from my radio internet was a 2.4/5.0, but it's at least 5 years old. I assume there's something better out there now. My house is a 2300 SF 1-story brick with a large outdoor covered patio. If I could also cover a 600sf in-law apartment that's 50' from the main house, that would be a bonus.

Edit:
If this Starlink now gives us reasonable speed to stream, I'd like to dump our Direct TV satellite and use a streaming service. Any recommendations for that?

/ Starlink #4,089  
I just ordered Starlink today. I used to have a LOS radio internet that transmitted from my attic, to a repeater on a neighbors barn, that just became super slow as they added subscribers and it wasn't reliable. So, I changed to an AT&T brick, which is also slow and requires frequent reboot's. With my wife looking for a "work remote" job, I need to at least be able to attend and host a microsoft teams meeting. I could barely even stream with the old set-ups.

So, help bring a network challenged newbie up to speed with what else I need.

I ordered the basic service with a pivot mount. I want to wirelessly cover my home and patio. I assume this Starlink thing then gets hooked up to a wireless router to cover the house. What's the best router to get? The one I have laying around from my radio internet was a 2.4/5.0, but it's at least 5 years old. I assume there's something better out there now. My house is a 2300 SF 1-story brick with a large outdoor covered patio. If I could also cover a 600sf in-law apartment that's 50' from the main house, that would be a bonus.

Edit:
If this Starlink now gives us reasonable speed to stream, I'd like to dump our Direct TV satellite and use a streaming service. Any recommendations for that?
The Starlink router, which is not in the dish, has a pretty decent WiFi signal. Check your possible dish locations with the phone app, and see where the best view of the sky is for the dish. I would then install the dish where it has an unobstructed view of the sky, and route the cable to the router in some location close to where your wife wants to work (e.g. her desk/office?), and then see how things are, and go from there.

We have our router outside on an outbuilding almost 200' away and my spouse has no issues hosting zoom / teams calls on that signal (2 bars of four), but the details of home construction matter a lot. (e.g. All wood construction vs. stucco, or stone/brick veneers, where it is the wire mesh support that causes the issues).

I can't help you in particular on Dish vs Starlink for streaming, but I have streamed 4K videos on Starlink, while other things were also downloading, so it should be a piece of cake.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #4,090  
As Peter mentions, the Starlink system comes with a wifi router which will broadcast a wifi network in your home. Whether that is adequate for your connection needs from all devices in the home depends on a lot of things that are all specific to your home, size, layout, building materials and use cases. I'd say get the SL system, install it, try things out and then if there are places not getting great wifi signals look into a mesh wifi system to do a better job covering the house areas. You can choose to use a mesh system in concert with the SL router or disable the SL wifi and use only your other router/mesh system. The SL system is pretty decent but not high end. It doesn't allow access to some router features that more techie folks tend to like to adjust.