Starlink

/ Starlink #2,031  
14ms ping is amazing, and is not the cause of slow page loading
This is what drives me crazy. Satellite Internet like old school HughsNet say they’re “high speed” which sometimes they are, but it’s the latency that kills you. Try having a Skype meeting when you have a half second or more latency. The politicians and people like them in charge of fixing the rural Internet problem have so little understanding of the things they’re being paid to regulate and the entrenched monopolies use that to their advantage.

/ Starlink #2,032  
HughsNet say they’re “high speed”
I have HughesNet. Seems to average about 4mb down. Many online "speed tests" won't even work due to speed and latency.

btw Hughes seems to have responded to Starlink taking some market share. They recently raised my price $5/mo (about 5%) but increased my data allowance from 20g to 30g.

Maybe enough folks gave Hughes the "heave-ho" to increase the allowances for the rest of us ....

/ Starlink #2,033  
This is what drives me crazy. Satellite Internet like old school HughsNet say they’re “high speed” which sometimes they are, but it’s the latency that kills you. Try having a Skype meeting when you have a half second or more latency. The politicians and people like them in charge of fixing the rural Internet problem have so little understanding of the things they’re being paid to regulate and the entrenched monopolies use that to their advantage.

not to side with them, but high speed and low latency are not the same thing, skype video is pretty low speed, you just need good latency.

downloading a 6gb file can fly with 400ms latency. it all depends on the application

/ Starlink #2,034  
not to side with them, but high speed and low latency are not the same thing, skype video is pretty low speed, you just need good latency.

downloading a 6gb file can fly with 400ms latency. it all depends on the application
Very true. A fighter jet has very low latency but also low bandwidth. A cargo ship has huge bandwidth but extremely high latency. The 2 are somewhat related as most protocols need low latency to get higher bandwidth, but thats because of optimizing for common conditions & not a technical limitation.

Gaming & voice/video applications are the most sensitive to latency. 100ms of latency is noticeable, 300ms is the limit for playability on first person shooter games.

Geosynchronous satellites like Hughes have a best case scenario of about 600ms due to their distance & the speed of light. Starlink is 40-60ms or so. For reference it's 60-70ms to get from the east coast to the west coast over fiber.

/ Starlink #2,035  

That’s exactly my point - most people don’t know the difference between speed and latency. Everybody wants to talk about speed but they never mention latency.

/ Starlink #2,036  
That’s exactly my point - most people don’t know the difference between speed and latency. Everybody wants to talk about speed but they never mention latency.
lol most people don't know the difference between "wifi" and "internet"...

/ Starlink #2,037  
Very true. A fighter jet has very low latency but also low bandwidth. A cargo ship has huge bandwidth but extremely high latency. The 2 are somewhat related as most protocols need low latency to get higher bandwidth, but thats because of optimizing for common conditions & not a technical limitation.

Gaming & voice/video applications are the most sensitive to latency. 100ms of latency is noticeable, 300ms is the limit for playability on first person shooter games.

Geosynchronous satellites like Hughes have a best case scenario of about 600ms due to their distance & the speed of light. Starlink is 40-60ms or so. For reference it's 60-70ms to get from the east coast to the west coast over fiber.
Most gamers would even consider 100ms unacceptable.

/ Starlink #2,040  
I just installed my dish and I've got to say, I was super duper totally excited to drill two 1 inch holes through the brick to fit the molded connector. I've installed things like this my entire life and that they consider this a self-install kit is surprising.