Starlink

/ Starlink #2,011  
That site also failed to load for me over my Starlink connection. The most likely situation is that the IP(s) for that web site have been placed on a blacklist for some reason. Often this is because either the site was found to host malware or is the source of e-mail spam or something like that. Sometimes the site owners are unaware of the situation since they may not know their systems are being exploited.

ISPs and other companies rely on various blacklists to choose which sites to protect themselves from. In this case, apparently Starlink may be using a different set of filters than your DSL providers.

Contacting Starlink to request that they whitelist the site may work but in all likelihood it won't. Best bet is to notify the web site in question and suggest that they try to find out if and why they may be on naughty lists.

Seems logical. I posted the issue on that forum and there were multiple people, mostly in the west/southwest, who replied they had SL and had no issues in loading the website. I wonder if this is an issue with the new dishes/routers?

/ Starlink #2,012  
This has the potential to finally provide true broadband internet service to rural areas. SpaceX's Satellite Internet Plans for Mid-2020 Launch in the US.

From article: "Expect speeds to reach up to 1 Gbps per user with a latency ranging between 25 to 35 milliseconds, on par with ground-based broadband services."

SpaceX's Satellite Internet Plans for Mid-2;) Launch in the US
I’ve been on the waiting list since February 2021. I’ve been notified my slot will open in March of 2022.

As luck would have it, I just hooked up to our local WISP provider via line-of-site microwave to their tower 6.2 miles away. The service is rock solid at 25M and very low (sub 40ms) latency.

I’ve been using a 4G provider for 4 years which has actually been pretty good. The WISP is $30 cheaper than the 4G provider.

I may give my slot back to Starlink and get my $99 deposit back.

/ Starlink
#2,013  
I’ve been on the waiting list since February 2021. I’ve been notified my slot will open in March of 2022.

As luck would have it, I just hooked up to our local WISP provider via line-of-site microwave to their tower 6.2 miles away. The service is rock solid at 25M and very low (sub 40ms) latency.

I’ve been using a 4G provider for 4 years which has actually been pretty good. The WISP is $30 cheaper than the 4G provider.

I may give my slot back to Starlink and get my $99 deposit back.
As they say "if it ain't broken don't fix it". If your WISP connection meets your needs why replace it? I've also been on the Starlink waiting list since February 2021. So far nothing but crickets. T-mobile's coverage map says 5G is available at this address for $50/mo. and no data cap. I'm thinking about choosing them instead of Starlink.

/ Starlink #2,014  
Seems logical. I posted the issue on that forum and there were multiple people, mostly in the west/southwest, who replied they had SL and had no issues in loading the website. I wonder if this is an issue with the new dishes/routers?
I doubt that it has anything to do with new dishes/routers. But it could be that the site you're attempting to connect to has multiple IP addresses (geo-distributed hosting, GTM/LTM setup or just hosted on multiple servers with round-robin DNS) and only one/some of them are blacklisted. Since the people who seem to be able to access through SL are in a certain region the geo-distributed hosting seems likely.

I don't know what your level of comfort with technology is, but one way to test that would be to ask those folks what IP they are seeing DNS resolve to for the endpoint and then you run a test query on your end using that IP. You'd probably have to use curl or wget to do that because you'll have to specify the host in the header. Something like this:

curl -H "Host: thepaceline.net" <IP_address>

Obviously if DNS for them resolves to the same thing it does for you then this is a failed hypothesis.

/ Starlink #2,015  
As they say "if it ain't broken don't fix it". If your WISP connection meets your needs why replace it? I've also been on the Starlink waiting list since February 2021. So far nothing but crickets. T-mobile's coverage map says 5G is available at this address for $50/mo. and no data cap. I'm thinking about choosing them instead of Starlink.
I have Verizon's 4G LTE Gateway internet and get 40 down & 8 - 10 up. My neighbor has T-Mobile 5G and his speeds are about the same as mine. Your speeds depend on how far you are from the serving tower so, depending on your location, T-Mobile may not be any faster.

/ Starlink
#2,016  
I have Verizon's 4G LTE Gateway internet and get 40 down & 8 - 10 up. My neighbor has T-Mobile 5G and his speeds are about the same as mine. Your speeds depend on how far you are from the serving tower so, depending on your location, T-Mobile may not be any faster.
Yeah I tried to order the Verizon 4G LTE Gateway in August 2021. They accepted the order but have delivered nothing. I've been with Verizon for years and have become disappointed in their customer service. That's why I'm pondering T-Mobile. Yes, in rural areas, it's all about LOCATION...LOCATION...LOCATION

/ Starlink #2,017  
The TMobile is geo locked to your address (allegedly). Also if you go to the web site and they say your address is not suppored, go into a physical store. Often those folks can make it work. TMob is trying to make sure they do not over saturate a tower and cause congestion.

We are with AT&T right now. On the SL wait list. I am likely going to invest in a $250 router that will do carrier aggregation to increase our speeds. We have an external Yagi antenna. That is part of the reason I won't go to TMob, their "trash can" router has ports for external antenna, but you have to dismantle the router to get to them. The one AT&T sells they are external and easy to access. They just have an odd connector you need, but Amazon sells the right bits and bobs to screw into place to make it work with no disassembly reqired.

/ Starlink #2,018  
Well I've had Starlink for 3 months now it looks like,
it's been having outages at times I opened a trouble ticket with them 10 days ago,
then appended to it today that I had been out since 7:30 AM and it was 10 AM at that time.
Now they are sending out another system.
Not a real happy camper, right now. Using my phone as a hot spot at a whopping 0.6Mbps.

/ Starlink #2,019  
I’ve had mine for 17 days and am still pleased. Just now tested it at 225 down & 16 up. I have seen 3-4 short outages in the evenings when I stream TV but they clear up in a minute or so. I haven’t cut my DSL service yet. I’ll probably hold onto it for a couple of months as a backup. May try to bribe the kid down the road to snake the dish cable under the house :) .

HULU really doesn’t like StarLink as they can’t pin down my location. Giving that and their upcoming 10% increase I may show them the door.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,020  
I’ve had mine for 17 days and am still pleased. Just now tested it at 225 down & 16 up. I have seen 3-4 short outages in the evenings when I stream TV but they clear up in a minute or so. I haven’t cut my DSL service yet. I’ll probably hold onto it for a couple of months as a backup. May try to bribe the kid down the road to snake the dish cable under the house :) .

HULU really doesn’t like StarLink as they can’t pin down my location. Giving that and their upcoming 10% increase I may show them the door.

Yeah, Hulu TV has a major issue with "mobile" networks too. You have a cellular service as your home base, not working for you.

I do YouTube TV.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Sany 24" Bucket for Excavator SY75/SY80/SY95 and Backhoe SLB95 (A34573)
Sany 24" Bucket...
New 10' Work Bench with 18 Drawers & 2 Cabinets (A34302)
New 10' Work Bench...
H&S 125 MANURE SPREADER, S/N 501931, 540 PTO (A34808)
H&S 125 MANURE...
John Deere 1600 3-Point Chisel Plow (A33113)
John Deere 1600...
New AGT Mini Excavator QK18RXS-C Yellow (A34302)
New AGT Mini...
JOHN DEERE 4520 TRACTOR, S/N H440655, HST DEERE 400CX LOADER, G.P BKT, CAB, HOUR METER READS 1372 (A34808)
JOHN DEERE 4520...