Standing on Platform on FEL?

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #11  
wise thinking on the safety. please describe your tasks from the fel, safety always changes w/the task at hand. at times, working solo, i'll get up to the raised fel w/ladder & pole pruner for trimming, etc. a no no w/safety police, i know...

actually imho the risk of losing your balance, injury, etc, on the fel platform is far greater than any hyd failure (assuming your hyd joystick operator is competent)
best regards.

Last edited:
   / Standing on Platform on FEL? #12  
First time my wife drove our new tractor was to lift me up today.
We’re using forks with a cheep basket, I’m in a harness tied to the tractor. Works great, just don’t tell her how much life insurance you have or it could get really hazardous.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #13  
I actually had a hydraulic failure while in the bucket of a John Deere 310. Fully extended when a metal hydraulic pipe burst. It slowly descended. I looked back and saw hydraulic fluid blowing out from behind the rear tire. My wife calmly lowered it down and I stepped out of the bucket.
Based on that experience I'm comfortable working out of a bucket

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #14  
a good note & glad for the safe landing. thinking the failure was in arms, not the curl, being potentially more dangerous. regards

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #15  
If you have doubts don't do it.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #16  
I personally do it, yes there are hazards as with anything else. I built a pole barn using two front end loaders and two ladders to do everything.

Make sure the tractor is on even ground
Make sure the wheels are locked (in gear, brakes set, wheels chocked if needed.
Make sure there is no one else around (kids, incompetent adults) that will fiddle with controls if you don't have a second person in the seat.

I've used an extension ladder to get to elevated bucket, far safer standing on something you can walk on than trying to balance on a ladder with tools.

The key thing in industrial settings is often the work platform being OSHA or gov regulation compliant with safety rails and/or harness tie downs. I've seen forklift baskets that the only thing holding it up is the cylinder on the mast. Regs usually mean someone must be at controls if someone is in basket.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #17  
I was surprised as we often work out of the loader buckets is one time I had the rock grapple bucket on and it was nicer then the regular bucket to work out of. You do have to have some faith in tractor operator unless you are using a ladder to access it which I normally don't.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #18  
What I did, was I took a used 350 gallon tote, took the liner out and cut the frame for a door and they have fork pockets so I use that as a platform. Works very well. If I remember correctly, it set me back about 30 bucks. I have no desire to fall out of a bucket and possibly kill myself.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #19  
I do this. I have a nice plastic pallet on pallet forks, with four U bolts clamping pallet to forks. I operate the machine by myself and use a ladder to get up there. My machine has low hours and lives indoors, and I'm a pretty light load compared to the machine's capacities.

For me it's a question of judgement. I'm pretty likely to survive a 6' or 7' fall, and I'm only doing this something like 4 hours per year, and I think the chance of falling is quite small. I think the other risks in my life (driving, illness, falling off the roof when blowing out the gutters) are much larger than this one.

Nearly all my seat time involves lifting or carrying loads other than myself, so if I burst a hose some day it is very likely to be while carrying those loads. And it is quite unlikely I will ever burst a hose.

I think taking a job working on such a platform all day every day for years and years would probably turn out OK but I don't like those odds. I think it's good if industrial work standards wouldn't allow this. But, then, I think I'd rather not take a job driving professionally, as I'm a bit timid.

Definitely on us to make our own judgement about this.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #20  
I'm old, but I'm okay to stand on a platform. I'm just concerned about it falling out from under me.

Kubota L3710​

Kubota L3710 tractor photo
1998 - 2002
Grand L10 Series
Compact Utility tractor

The cotton, nylon and rubber hydraulic lines on your KUBOTA L3710 are at least twenty (20) years old.

I had two catastrophic burst FEL lines in the first ten years I owned my Kubota L3560.

You are financially finished if the FEL crashes with anyone outside your immediate family on it.

Last edited: