Spraying Concrete?

/ Spraying Concrete? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I've got a near vertical hillside I need to do some erosion protection so that it doesn't slide down. The area isn't accessible to my tractor because of a deep, wet ravine. I can get to within about 20/30 feet of the hillside and was wondering if there was any way that I can spray or shoot concrete onto the hillside. The area that needs the protection is roughly 10 feet high and 100 feet long.

Does anyone know anything about spraying or shooting concrete? Probably best to start by shooting blobs and then letting them harden.

rScotty

/ Spraying Concrete? #2  
Sometimes,, YouTube is better than Google,,
Start the video at 3 minutes, 34 seconds,,,

/ Spraying Concrete? #4  
It’s used for lots of applications- Gunite or shotcrete are two names that come to mind.

Theirs no free lunch though. Lots of prep and stabilization needed first.

/ Spraying Concrete? #5  
Have you considered hydroseeding?...it works well on steep slopes...

here is some discussion:

Hydroseeding Forums

/ Spraying Concrete? #6  
One of the issues you will have with concrete is dealing with the water that is trapped behind it in winter. You have to make sure the water will continue to drain out from behind the wall.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Just about every idea possible, and usually the best ones applicable, are used by the Highways to control or minimize erosion. When they do use concrete, it's a massive effort and expense. Rip Rap is usually the most cost effective way to stop erosion. What do they use on the roads where you live?

/ Spraying Concrete? #7  
Have you done any research on geogrids? Unless you're looking at redirecting water flow, I would steer away from using ant cement products as erosion control.

/ Spraying Concrete? #8  
I've had best results with plants when stabilizing hillside soil. Low growing trees mixed with understory shrubs and vines works well. If ground is bare,laying down woven fabric help's plants establish.

/ Spraying Concrete?
Hmmm.... well, you've all given me a lot to think about. I'll take some pictures today to post. The area I want to stabilize is too steep for rip-rap or geotextile&soil nails. The problem is that the hillside is constantly being undercut by high water flows in the creek below. At each high flow, the creek chews out another foot at the bottom, and the entire steep slope above then slides down - carrying trees and plants with it. Eventually it will stabilize of course. But it will be really ugly for 100 years if it does what I think it will do.

It gets more complicated because I can't get right up to the site to work on the steep slope. It's across a creek.... That's what got me start thinking along the lines of some kind of blob cannon that would shoot a cup-size blob of concrete or something about 50 feet. It would be a sort of long process. Need to build up a footer at the far edge of the creek first, and then rise up along the wall from there.
rScotty

/ Spraying Concrete? #10  
There might be too much flow to control but the type situation you describe is best solved long term by damming up and slowly draining through graduated size orifices. In situations where flow come's fast and large,multiple drop structures/mini dams can often work where a single reservoir doesn't. Are other landowners effected by same drainage? If you can't even drive your tractor in the area,it's doubtful a dozer can work in there.